anybody use the "ferber method"?

edited January 2012 in Babies
i use it with ayva :)
shes 4.5 months and has been sleeping 10 to 12 hrs every night for almost 3 months straight!!!
she puts herself down for naps and for bedtime :)

Comments

• What's the ferber method?
  • When did you start and how long did it take her to get used to it? I think i'm going to start when my lo is 4 months
  • its a method u use to get baby to learn to self soothe at night. instead of needing to b rocked or using food or a pacifier. ayva goes down awake and putsherself to sleep with no help :)
  • i started at about 2 months with ayva. i will tell the honest truth the first 3 to 5 days are the hrdest!
  • How'd you get through any tips or anything you would've done differently? I hate hearing lo cry but i dont want to have to pat her to sleep every night
  • Yes what is this method? Any tricks? Lol my lo can 'sometimes' put himself to bed but that's rare!
  • ok the with the ferber method u basically let baby put themselves to sleep. like for bedtime at night. do ur regular routine but dont put him to sleep urself. like if ur little one has to b rocked stop immediately. what i did with ayva was id do her routine nakie time, bth, story, bottle. and then id hug her lay her down and say ayva its ninight time. i will say this IT IS EXTREMELY DIFFICULT THE FIRST FEW DAYS! but basically you walk out. start with 5 min intervals and every 5 mins the first night go in their room pat their butt. give them a kiss or talk to them and say its ninight time. dont draw it out. and NO PICKING BABY UP. then the next night make it 7 mins. then 10. and so on. if u dont like hearing ur baby cry this may not be for you. the first few nights id go outside and sit in the car with the monitor and a cigarette. but its well worth it. also if u know ur babies tired signs act on them. ayva will roll on her side and whine. ill get her situated in bed and give hera blanky and shell pass out.
  • I am sooo trying this! Hope it works!
  • also if u have older more mobile babies, like ayva. ive learned that if u put a toy in the crib or attached to the rail it does wonders! ayva will sometimes wake up at 7am to play for a bit so she just play with her butterfly or blanket then goes back to sleep. but all babies are different and some may just naturally b needy. also if u cosleep its going to b rougher on u :(
  • good luck! :)
  • another thing that helped me was weaning her off night feedings. she get her last bottle at 930 10 and then doesnt get another til like 930 10am.
  • Yes I do cosleep & have a few days to mentally prepare. I ordered the breathable bumpers & should receive them wed. Thanks7
  • lol ya i coslept for 8weeks and stopped coldturkey i was sad but i like being able to wake up with out a huge cramp in my arm and shoulder lol
  • I have read that this method isn't appropriate for babies under 6 months old. There is loads of info on the web on this-also called the 'cry it out' method. I would recommend you get all the info on this before you decide to use it. There are other sleep methods that can be used - look up Elizabeth pantley 'no cry' or Dr Sears methods, alot of helpful advice on the web on how to sleep train your lo. Hope this helps!!
  • @mazdaz thank you for posting that. I don't believe in the cry it out method for my lo and was looking for alternative ways.
  • @mazdaz ferber method is a variant of the cio method I believe. You're not supposed to just let them cry you're just not supposed to pick them up....
  • Yeah this is def not for me. Lol I can't let my son cry for no more then 5 seconds. I mean he is crying for a reason. But hey it worked for you ;) Plus my little boy already sleeps through the night.
  • I will have to try this after her acid pull starts working
  • edited January 2012
    I've heard the same that its the cry it out method and he also believes letting the child cry, even to the point where they vomit. He instructs to go in clean the vomit without touching the child and leave the room again...
    I would read this first... http://www.ahaparenting.com/ages-stages/newborns/case-against-ferber-sleep
    I don't rock my kids but I also don't let them cry like that.
  • this thread makes me sad. :(
  • Very very very sad.... :-S
  • While I don't agree with ferber, I am very glad you're getting some peace with Ayva. I remember how much you struggled with her :)
  • i understand everyone has their opinion, but no reason to bash me. i personally love what ive done. im sorry but im not a mom that runs to my child every time she cries. theres no way in hell id have a child attached to my hip 24/7 and a 10 month old still waking up at night. not gonna happen. and i stand firm that babies can b spoiled
  • and no u dont let ur child cry til they vomit read some more info about it before posting
  • This is not sad at all! She's not letting her baby cry to the point of vomit, as one poster said. Some babies don't go to sleep as easy as others or stay asleep long. I'd totally do this, but thankfully my 10 week old pretty much puts himself to sleep when I lay him down, after his bottle. And letting your baby cry a little us not the end of the world! Good luck to all you ladies who run in and grab your baby the second they make a cry...
  • ya ayva used to fight sleep really bad and now she doesnt at all. and ya if ur all for getting up 4 5 times a night and having a baby scream the instant u set them down more power to u. not for me tho, no way in hell
  • @jazzi89 I'm with ya girl!!
  • i didnt even know i was using the ferber method til i was told by someone else. and yep not going to change my ways and i will do the same for future babies. it makes me sick seeing a baby constantly being held or screaming cuz theyr not. and 10month olds waking up 4 times a nights. that to me is bad parenting imo.
  • So trying this when I have my baby >:D<