At what age do you start "discipline"?

edited January 2012 in Ages & Stages
Not actual like time outs, spankings,etc. But letting them know they shouldnt do something. My daughter is 10 weeks. She has started this thing where she likes to fight sleep sometimes & when she is almost sleep she will continously rub her face in me until she wakes up. Now when she does it, I stop her & tell her NO. After stopping her & telling her no a few times she will stop. But im not sure if shes old enough to comprehend that im telling her NO & thats why she stops or if shes just stopping on her on.

Comments

• Good question I want to know too??? Bump
  • I tell my little girl NO if she's acting up, which she does sometimes! She's 4 months old and I've been doing it from about 10 weeks also. i do think they understand and i don't see the harm, your not smacking or yelling at her so IMO its all good :-)
  • Also babys learn quick so she will realise... if i do that mummy stops me!
  • I think you have to to use your own discretion on this topic. Some babies respond to early discipline, some don't. When my 6 month old puts things in her mouth (except for teething things), I just tell her no, and bring the object away from her mouth. She doesn't care, she puts it right back in her mouth. I end up just replacing it with a teething toy.
  • i think around 5 or 6 months they r able to associate no with a bad behavior. like pinching and pulling hair. ayva knows that pulling hair is a nono and if i tell her no she stops and lets go. but this is a fairly new thing to her so we r still working on it
  • @fate i agree, its difficult when they are teething as EVERYTHING has to go in the mouth. lots of teething toys at the ready lol
  • I tell Cartier no too like if I'm spoon feeding him and he starts trying to slap the crap out of the spoon other then that he doesn't really do anything I mean he cries ALOT but that's because he always wants me to pink.him up
  • Lol interesting good question! I tell my baby no sometimes but when his dad tell him no I get kind of mad and say he don't understand that s***! Lol
  • @lyndsey1983 She isn't even teething. LOL. She just loves picking whatever she finds up and tasting it. When I take things away that aren't chew toys, she just kind of blinks at me until I fill her hands with something. Lmao.
  • @preggointx my lo is known to be a crybaby too! Lol
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited January 2012
    @lyndsay1983 I agree. Maybe they dont understand consequences but they do understand cause & effect. They know to cry when hungry & they will get food. Cause and effect. Idk I could be wrong. But like you said.. I dont theres anything wrong with doing it. Im not yelling or hitting. Just saying no & correcting her.
  • I dont really think about it but I have done it. I talk to her alot so it's just another thing to say to her. Regardless of the level of understanding and if it does nothing to correct tge behaviour, talking to babies is so good for them...
  • @mimii36 :-) she'll get me back when im old anyway lol
  • Babies are babies. They have no idea what 'no' means. Possibly at 8 months or so, but my daughter is 5 months and gives no reaction to no.