Soy formula?

edited January 2012 in Formula Feeding
So I have been only breastfeeding. My milk production keeps gettin less an less. I was lookin into givin him one formula bottle a day so I can try an build my supply an storage back up cuz I still really ewanna breastfeed. I do not wanna give him regular formula cuz I don't want him exposed to cow's,milk so I was lookin into soy formulas. Upon researching before I bought some I read that soy products contain isoflavones which the body acts like estrogen which can cause a male to b feminine or gay. has anyone researched this or have experience wit this?is this research credible? is it worth the risk to not give him cow's milk?

Comments

• I have never heard of that I'm breastfeeding but in abdominal but in same situation like every other day I have to give her a bottle of formula and I already have a lot that was given to me and one tub we have is for sensitive babies for gas issues it says soy on the back as well I never heard of it having any problems but its good to look into I'm going to do some research.
  • Soy does contain a plant estrogen. Im not sure if it effects formula through the making of it. You can make a homemade goats milk formula. Goats milk is closer to human milk and easier on kidneys and digestion.
  • What's your reasoning for no milk? I'm not a Dr or scientist or whatever, but I have a very hard time believing that soy makes anyone gay. My son has s sensitive tummy so suit is one of the formulas we tried but he was only on it for a few days because it makes they're poop Clay like and more difficult to poop. So if you try soy expect the poop to be different. But obviously it will effect different babies in different ways. But still don't think it will make him gay! Maybe if he was drinking soy formula at age ten or fifteen I could see a problem with the extra estrogen. But grown men drink regular soy all the time... Not feminine or gay.
  • The WIC office doesn't suggest going straight to soy neither did the similac feeding line when I called to ask questions about switching to a lighter formula
  • i think its really stupid if you think that soy formula will make your son gay..like really??
  • @bahamamama4828 ok I'll look into that thanks.
    @smcox yea I do to its jus wat a few articles said that I read but I wanted to ask an c if someone was more informed than I cuz I'm not sure if those sources were even credible. But my reasonin is I don't think its best for him an his dad an I r both lactose intolerant.
    @preggointx ok thanks.
    @M_STAR925 I think its stupid that either u can't read or u jus don't have comprehension of the english language. Y don't u go back read wat I posted again before u say somethin stupid otherwise stfu.
  • PS I don't think it makes anyone "gay" :)
  • Bahamamama4828 I didn't think stop but I wanted to ask around an c if someone else had researched it.
  • I have heard the same thing lol but I wouldn't worry
  • edited January 2012
    I have to give moo baby soy because she had a milk allergy and my husband had to have soy and he it's not gay...... It does make the poop thick but if you give them juice it helps..
  • I wouldn't be concerned about him being gay...just concern with the formula emulating hormones. My Dr suggested I use it when my son had diahrea...took him off after I read that. There are many formulas that have proteins already broken down if worried that the cows milk proteins will be hard for baby to digest.
  • @Angelmonkeymelody yea that probly wouldn't work cuz he doesn't like juice or water. So he would probly b constipated :/
  • Have you tryed pedilight sp?
  • @JsMyOnlyLove I READ EXACTLY WHAT YOU WROTE AND IF YOU HAD TO RESEARCH SOMETHING STUPID LIKE IT MAKING YOUR SON GAY THEN YES I AGREE WITH WHAT I SAID...STFU
  • M_star925 I'm not trying to start an argument but I think that was a little uncalled for. There are many theories and thoughts on why people are gay. Whether they are born that way or it's because of their surroundings. Why is her question any different? If you didn't like her question you could have just moved along or politely have said the article was bs. No need to attack the original poster.
  • @M_STAR925 ok so ur jus stupid then. First off I was researchin different formulas their pros an cons an wat not before I jus gave my son anythin an those articles jus popped up second I NEVER SAID I THOUGHT THAT SOY MILK WOULD MAKE HIM GAY. I STATED WAT I READ AN ASKED IF ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT AN IF ANYONE WAS MORE INFORMED ON THE TOPIC THAN I. So go back to elementary retake some english classes stop spendin ur time makin babies an maybe jus maybe u can get on everyone else's level cuz u the only idiot on here that didn't comprehend my post.
  • @M_STAR925 ok so ur jus stupid then. First off I was researchin different formulas their pros an cons an wat not before I jus gave my son anythin an those articles jus popped up second I NEVER SAID I THOUGHT THAT SOY MILK WOULD MAKE HIM GAY. I STATED WAT I READ AN ASKED IF ANYONE ELSE HEARD THAT AN IF ANYONE WAS MORE INFORMED ON THE TOPIC THAN I. So go back to elementary retake some english classes stop spendin ur time makin babies an maybe jus maybe u can get on everyone else's level cuz u the only idiot on here that didn't comprehend my post.
    @smcox thank u
    @Angelmonkeymelody no I haven't.
  • I'm sorry ladies just had to lol at the comments. But anywho you can try nutramigen that's what my son is on and he has a milk allergy.
  • @TxMommy93011 yes I came across that too n my search for the rite formula. I heard the taste is bad. Do u do somethin to disguise it or give it straight? Also hour is his poopin? I heard it could make babies constipated. An the comments r funny lol.
  • My son went through a couple formulas and never got constipated. This formula is really easy for them to digest. He poops like 2 to 3 times a day. I give it straight he likes it I tried a new formula just last week because his pedi recommended it and he didn't like it he loves his nutramigen. It's a bit on the expensive side but WIC helps alot.
  • @TxMommy93011 ok thanks. I think I'll go ahead an try that one an c wat happens. An I kno its really expensive but I do have wic. Hopefully I can get a small container jus n case he don't like it tho. ;;)
  • You can always ask your pedi for an example :) that's how I started :)
  • @TxMommy93011 thanks I'll ask next time we go!
  • Oh yeah, that's what my pedi put my son on the Nutramigen! But it's cuz he's colic but works really well. We got a sample from the pedi as well. @txmommy93011
  • @smcox do you like it? I do! Lol
  • I love it! My husband keeps asking me when we can put him back on normal formula cuz it's $36 here in Anchorage....I keep telling him to stop being a cheap ass cuz he's not the one that has to hear him cry all day LOL the only thing I don't like is it smells like regurgitated Cheez its LOL
  • @smcox oh wow that's expensive. Here the really big can is 33. Oh I agree my son will burp and omg does it stink haha
  • Jackson's elecare is $46. 99 for a small can :( he loved Nutramagin but the protein wasn't broke down enough. I never knew about the hormones in soy, thanks for posting this. @JsMyOnlyLove