Belly sleeping

edited January 2012 in Sleep
So ive recently realized my 5 week old (who NEVER wants to sleep) absolutely loves being on his belly. Ive been letting him nap that way during the day so im able to keep an eye on him, but im terrified to let him sleep like that at night because I cant watch him constantly. What are everyones thoughts on babies sleeping on their bellies?

Comments

• My pediatrician told me that so long as you're putting them to sleep on their back, if they roll onto their tummy at night, they should be alright. I, too, have a belly sleeper, and it freaked me out when I first woke up to discover she wound up on her belly!
  • personally im too scared. my daughter is 3 months and haa upper body strength but still attempts to bury her face.the only time i let her on her belly id tummy time with my supervision.i was just watching dr g today and her autopsy patient was a 5. month old lil boy due to sleeping on his tummy and on a soft surface.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sorry im not trying to scare you but its reality and as parents we should know all the pros and cons
  • My youngest slept on his tummy. He had better O2 stats, less apnea, and slept for longer periods. They told me to make sure the sheet was tight fitted to the mattress and nothing was in his sleeping area. I used an in bed co-sleeper so I could check on him often.
  • edited January 2012
    My little one is like that he'll be 6 months on saterday the Gi doctor nearly had a cow on me because I was asking him why Xavier to liked sleeping on tummy it turned into a 45
    minute lecture on sids, and how i'm going to kill my baby. I let him sleep that way cause it is the only way I can get him to sleep for more then 20 minutes. But that's my choice. there is higher risk of sids with belly sleepers but if that is the only way she'll sleep you need to weigh the risk with her need for rest.
  • my 10 w old sleeps on her belly & has been for awhile. I waited till she could move her head if she needed to & watched her on her tummy during naps first but then I felr confident enough to let her do it at night, I was scared tho but im scared about everything lol. :) it helped with her reflux/ gas issues cuz she can work the farts/burps out
  • My son isn't that GD with tummy time may b I didn't do it at the beging is it to late he's 2months 3weeks
  • My baby has been sleeping on his belly since he was 3 maybe 4 weeks he hates sleeping any other way I just make sure to keep an eye on him and id be lying to say I don't worry but I feel SIDS or anything else can happen even if you follow all the recomendations (sp)
  • My Daughter Started Sleeping On Her Tummy When She Was 2 Weeks
  • My baby been sleepin on his stomach since I brought him home. He won't sleep on his back.
  • My babygirl has been sleeping on her stomach since she was 2 months old that is the only way she will sleep when I put her on her back she jumps like she is falling she is 4 1/2. Months now but I check on her often
  • I personally would never ever let my baby sleep on his tummy. I don't care if I have to wake up 10 times a night because my baby "doesn't like" sleeping on his back and doesn't sleep 6 hrs straighr, that to me is selfish. Its very dangerous IMO.
  • @excitedforoctober I don't see how its selfish at all making your child comfortable. Sleep is very important to your baby's growth and development. Making them comfortable so they can sleep seems important to me. Some babies sleep fine on their back, some sleep better in a swing, and some sleep on their tummy.
  • @mommyof4boys Because it seems like some moms, not saying anybody on here specifically, will do anything to make their LO sleep LONG. The fact that it is a big cause of SIDS and people can still do it boggles my mind. Smoking around a baby increases the risk of SIDS and to ME letting a baby sleep on their tummy unsupervised is the same as blowing cigarette smoke directly into a babies face.

This is simply how I feel so if u disagree thats ok!
  • @excitedforoctober I think allowing a baby to sleep on it's tummy is way different than blowing smoke in a baby's face. That's just crazy. There are plenty of babies that just do better on their bellies.
  • I appreciate everyones opinions on the subject. I'll probably continue putting him on his back & deal with him being awake every 20min but its good to know my baby isnt alone in wanting to be on his stomache. I dont agree that its on par with blowing smoke in a babys face, I respect those who choose to do it, but I just cant bring myself to do it even though Aadyn seems to prefer it. Thanks again for your input everyone
  • It seems like a good analogy to me. Both have risks of increasing SID. Some babies can pass away from either and some won't, but neither is a risk I'm ever willing to take.

Am I calling people who do it bad mothers? Absolutely not, but if I would do it i'd feel like I wasn't doing EVERYTHING in my power to keep my baby safe.
  • @ExcitedForOctober I completely agree. My son wanted to nap on his belly one time I layed him down. Stayed there watching him after a min I gave up I was way too scared. I rather him sleep on my chest while I'm awake just to be aware.
  • It definitely scares me. Ive only let him do it during the day when I could sit right next to him & watch his breathing. I doubt ill ever be comfortable with him sleeping that way at night. @excitedforoctober The only reason I dont agree with your analogy is because blowing smoke in an infants face is pretty much abuse, while allowing them to sleep on their belly is not. I get that both are unsafe, but it seems there are many mothers on here that have belly sleepers & comparing it to blowing smoke in their face is, for me, a bit extreme. However, I respect your opinion as much as the others. I'll just continue putting him on his back & hope he can learn to get comfy sleeping that way.
  • Question though ladies. If I allow hom to nap on his belly during the day when im watching him, will that make it even harder for him to sleep on his back at night?
  • Have you tried his side? My lo naps on her stomach when I can watch her. She will NOT sleep on her back. Period. Not even 5 minutes. Not even in the hospital. I cant help that! But at night I only let him sleep on hers side..not her tummy because I'm paranoid also. She does just as good on her side as her tummy
  • edited January 2012
    @kristaf22 yea sometimes she rolls to her stomach to if she moves a lot when she wakes up but not normally. I cosleep anyway so I'm normally in front of her so shes gotten used to not rolling onto her tummy. But she still has her nights where she doesn't even.want to be on her side...only on her tummy. And I agree with you. Its not about me being selfish because she still wakes up throughout the night to eat and I get up with her. But if she wont sleep on her back then what can I do? I cant make her body shut down and go to sleep. I have to do what's best for HER. I would love it of she would sleep on her back but she wont. I cant help that.
  • @kristaf22 slow your roll. I can honestly say it was not directed specifically to you, I'm not timid, I would have personally tagged you. I clearly stated this was my opinion, and that is what the OP asked for, opinions on both sides. If this was a post only FOR belly sleeping I would have kept on my merry way and not said anything. I have heard of many moms sleeping their babies upright due to reflux not on their tummy. But hey if thats what works for you than im glad!
  • my son slept on his tummy like this ----> / with a pillow under him bc the first 2 months he was so congested he would stop breathing at night bc it was so hard, so when i layed him on his back flat he couldnt breathe at all and would turn blue due to the congestion we never found out why he was so congested but he was on meds and everything but he had to sleep in my bed next to me on his tummy proped up in a 45 degree angle. directed by the doctor so to each his own!!
  • @kristaf22 i tagged you, what you gunna do about it? get internet gangsta on me? :))
  • My son had bad reflux since birth and I nearly died the day I watched him choke in his sleep while on his back. I allow him to sleep on his tummy because he will sleep no other way and because he spits ups so often still. In the beginning he slept on my tummy but now that he can roll, I'm not comfortable with it. I don't sleep straight through the night, I'm always checking on him. It works for us though.