Giving up the boob...

edited January 2012 in Breastfeeding
My lo is 2 weeks now and I've been suspecting that my supply cannot keep up with her. We started supplementing 1 to 2 2 oz bottles a day (after nursing) and she was scarfing them down like she was starving. At her appointment today, she was still an oz under her birth weight. The doctor is going to recheck her weight on Wednesday, but if she hasn't gained 5 oz, I will need to supplement more and/or give up breastfeeding. I feel awful that I have been indirectly starving my baby because my milk can't keep up with her and it breaks my heart to give it up, but it's torture to think I can only comfort nurse her and not nourish her. :( I know she will be fine on formula, but I enjoyed nursing her. I just needed to get this out...thanks for reading.

Comments

• Your body is still adjusting, give it more time before giving up.
  • @tinka1326 The doc expected to see more of a weight gain and I've been nursing her nearly every hour and for marathon stretches at night...I rarely feel full. My body did fine when I had my son, but his latch was painful and I was also coping with the loss of my sister...it was too much so I gave up at 3 weeks. It doesn't seem to matter how often I nurse, what I eat, how much water I drink, or how much rest I get...nothing seems to increase the supply. I can't bring myself to take fenugreek because I think smelling like maple syrup would make me sick.
  • Yeah I would definitely keep trying, even if you have to try pumping every couple of hours to get it up
  • I've been taking fenugreek and I can only smell it when I full on try and smell myself cause I know other people said before thats what it does. I'm just saying its not that strong at all at least not with me and so worth it bc I really didn't want to stop with my daughter so I'm willing to try whatever.
  • @afwifealderete1017 I've tried pumping too...not getting very much. I'm giving it until Wednesday, but if she isn't gaining, then my body just isn't going to keep up. During the first week, we were nursing every 30-60 mins and I was waking her if she went nearly 2 hours. Sometimes, she will nurse for an hour or more (between both sides) and still is not satisfied. She will nurse and get mad after 10 minutes when she has drained whatever my body had produced or sometimes keep nursing just to go to sleep.
  • The first few weeks are shit... Really shit... There are lots of possible issues from painful latch, cracked nipples, low supply excessive supply and the list goes on... Some doctors are really quick to jump on the formula as a quick fix, my nephew was tiny, full term and only a little over 5lb, he got jaundice and weight gain issues. My sister never supplemented and it took a few weeks but eventually bubs weight went up and he is 10months and still feeding well...
  • I wish it was her latch or unwillingness to nurse, but she's a perfect nurser. She was down 9% by 48 hours and the pediatrician isn't comfortable with her not being back at her birth weight yet.
  • Today was Addys 2 month well baby check up. For the last month & a half, we've continued the supplements & have been breastfeeding at night...she still hasn't gained enough weight. I've been told that if I want to continue nursing at night, I will also need to wake her for a bottle. This is so disappointing as she is seemingly satisfied when nursing at night. :( It almost seems a waste to bf her if it wont help her gain weight. Why waste space in her tummy with seemingly empty, useless liquid.
  • Aw I really wish I had some words of wisdom to help you out, hopefully someone else does, it does sound as though you've been doing all you can xxxx
  • @willothewisp Thanks. It's just frustrating...why do I produce fat free milk? lol It's a bummer tonight because I am so sore, but I'm cutting out a night nursing so I can decrease the night supply instead of just stopping suddenly. I had to wake her to get her to eat a little bit ago, I assume I will have to wake her again in a few hours. Figures that she starts sleeping longer stretches, and now I'm told to wake her up. I won't be able to nurse her for at least 24 hours after surgery on Monday, so that will be interesting.
  • My daughter lost 9% the first 48 hrs too. I was lucky tho. My nurse who checked her is a frowns of my bf aunt. So she supported my decision to keep bfing. I went on to 5 months. She was constantly a slow gainer, even when we switched to formula. She's now 9 months and around 20 lbs. Long story short, do what you feel is best, but dont let drs scare you!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I had the same problem but dont give up! My lo was born 7.6 and two weeks later went down to 6.13 and my midwife wanted me to start formula but I didnt and two weeks later he was back up to his birth weight and he now weighs 23 pounds lol at 7 months. Do what yoü want and just nurse nurse nurse! :)
  • edited March 2012
    You are describing my experience to a T! I refused to give up and pumped for 20 minutes after every feeding. At first I was pumping mere drops and all I felt I was doing was feeding or pumping. I was adamant that I was not going to use formula for fear that it would continue to affect my supply. I would supplement with any breast milk I had pumped, if my LO was still hungry and would even pump when I supplemented. At first it was extremely discouraging because I pumped very little. All in all I supplemented with about 3 oz of formula. Lily is now 8 months, and has never had formula since her first couple weeks of life.

You can do it! I know how discouraging, frustrating and exhausting it is, but the satisfaction of your hard work is so rewarding.

On a final note, I am a super taster, therefore I have a very keen sense of smell. I supplemented with fenugreek and blessed thistle and I didn't smell half as bad ad I thought I would. I would constantly ask those around me if I smelled funny and no one even noticed.

Good luck to you, you can do this!!!
  • My original post was after her 2 week appt, she is now 2 months...and only weighs 10lbs. It's not a supply issue that I have and I have even increased my supply over the last week, it's that the bm isn't fattening enough for her. It's just a lot at once...personal health issue as well.
  • Have you seen a lactation consultant? Take anything regarding breastfeeding from a doctor with a grain of salt. They have absolutely no formal education in breastfeeding. The key to successful BFing during difficulties is a lactation consultant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I am sorry. My baby lost like 11-12% of BW first week....I wasn't producing, and my peircings had scar tissue that was preventing milk from flowing. I say keep at it if you can--but of course be careful. My doc mentioned one woman who refused to stop breastfeeding but had no supply and the baby passed away. She was an older woman, and thats not the norm, just be careful--it scared me into stopping, and I had to return to work also at 4 weeks. I felt like my doctor wans't pro-breastfeeding. They wanted me to start formula in the hospital because she lost so much.

I would call a lactation consultant and try some fenugreek, oatmeal etc. Its hard to supplement, then BF because they are so happy after the supplement.