what happens if LO wont burp

edited February 2012 in First time moms
Needless to say, he does suffer from bad gas :-( but its so hard to get him to burp. Specially at night its almost impossible as soon as k start patting he falls asleep. If I stop patting he wakes up Haha
He is formula fed and does burp some during the day, doctor recommended burping after every ounce, I'm not doing good on that :(
What are some tricks and tips I can use,

Comments

• I found out that its easier to let them eat more before you burp them. I use to try after every oz. Didnt work well. I let her drink her whole bottle & she burps much easier.
  • I've noticed that as well, he can take more and burp easier and after burping he might even have space for more. But then again, most of the times he wont burp, I don't know how long is too long to try poor baby.
  • Maybe try some gripe water before the feeding?
  • Like before every feeding or just a few? I'm such a ftm and Dr doesn't really help, all I get its don't worry its normal for just about everything
  • I was having the same problem with my daughter when she was younger. My doctor said as long as it was coming out one end or the other, she was fine! He said if she hasn't burped after 5 or ten minutes, then she probably wouldn't, and that was fine.
  • My daughter never burped, as long as they are not in pain I wouldn't even worry about it my doctor said the same thing as @lucyloo28
  • Or use gas drops, that works well with my daughter
  • The thing is he is in pain, he wakes up and grunts then farts. Gases are waking him up. Gas drops before or after? In the bottle or separate?
  • edited February 2012
    My daughter was sooooo hard to burp and she'd get really bad gas because of it. We'd spend 30 minutes trying different ways and she just wouldn't burp. I finally started putting her over my shoulder just enough so both of her arms would go over my shoulder part way and there'd be a tiny bit of pressure on her belly to help it out...pat lightly and TA-DAH! She burps within a few minutes almost every time. It also helps if you're standing or walking around.
  • Thank you all! It is going better at least during the day I do get him to burp and nice big ones. Now that he is starting to hold his head a few seconds at a time I think it makes it easier to burp. Or I'm getting better who knows
  • My youngest only burps if you just sit him straight up on your lap and rub his back
  • My daughter was exactly the same! If she fell asleep, we knew there was no way she would burp. I would give her gas drops after her feeding and she would fart it out. GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME. :)
  • I usually rub her back firmly on her lower part and usually the bubble works itself up or down lol hope that helps