Anyone with a 3 year old and an infant?

edited February 2012 in Parenting
I'm having a hard time today! :( I have very strong willed, active, stubborn 3 1/2 year old girl and a 4 month old. I think I just need to be reassured....
First, I try my best not to yell. She looks me in the face and sees my lips moving but its like she doesn't hear anything I'm saying! Everything is a battle or an argument. Counting to three just makes me look like an ass, time outs don't work because she could care less. And spanking isn't an option. I feel like I'm on the edge of a breakdown. Please tell me I'm not the only one going through this....

Comments

• Nope u sure ain't lol I have a 3 an 1/2 year old boy an 20 month girl an 3 month girl there so bad lol my 3 year old is a boy but i think my 20 month old girl is worse if shes doin sumthn she not suppose to be I have to get up an get her cuz wen I'm tellin he sumthn she jus looks at me an laughs very stressful !
  • I have a 3.5 year old daughter who is pretty strong willed as well and we are having our second daughter in 2 weeks so I will be in your shoes soon!
  • edited February 2012
    I have a 4yo son who can be a major pain. I have a 4mo daughter. And i have a 6yo niece that lives with me who's had an attitude lately.
  • I have spent the last half hour crying. She finally fell asleep for a nap. I am just feeling really crappy about yelling at her all day. I just don't want her to hate me. I guess its pitty party for 1 over here today.
  • I have a 3 1/2 yo girl and a 4 1/2 mo old and my daughter is the same way!! My oldest is 8 1/2 and it was so much easier with the 5 yr age difference. I like that my two youngest ate closer on age, but it is definitely more challenging. I think age 3 is almost harder than age 2!!
  • @hanerc Everyone told me 3 was harder than 2 and I agree!!!!

@ everyone we will all make it through! Everything will be just fine. Right?! Lol

• I have a 6 yr old girl going on 16 lately. 4yr old boy with the same attitude. 4 month old girl teething and my inlaws who always voice thier opinions. Yeah, I'm always on the verge of having a breakdown.
  • I have a 2 almost three year old girl and a 5 months old and sometimes I think I'll go insane .
  • Hiiii same birth date buddy lol
    I have a 2 yo and my 4 mo.
    Have you had your 3 yo have daddy time? At that age she still needs ALOT of one on one. Or include her in baby time like bath time or reading.. Or picnics or forts.
    I'm still learning too! Lol
  • Distract her during a meltdown instead if punishing her, that way less need to yell or punish.
    With my 2 yo at the beginning of a meltdown ill say lets go get some cookies! Or wanna help me make dinner?
    Those types of examples you don't necessarily have to do but you get my point lol
  • @ Bahamamama4828 Hello there!!! She is a great helper and I include her in everything. I also try to pull ideas out of my ass on how to keep her busy while caring for Ashton! Most days are great but when its bad.... IT'S BAD!! I appreciate the advice for the meltdowns, and I will try them.

@everyone...Thank you! My husband works all day, my mother has her own problems and (I don't want her advice!) I sometimes feel alone doing this! I wouldn't trade it for the world but sometimes wish I could stop the ride to catch my breath!!!! :)
  • I am so pleased to hear I'm not the only one! I have 2 boys, one 3 yrs 4 months, one 3.5 months! It's sooooo hard a lot of the time and I could cry! Time out not working for me at the moment so im trying a new reward system. I feel like I never have enough time for them both and am always shattered! I have rheumatoid arthritis too and am counting the hours down to my appointment tues to get me back on my regular medication as I am suffering and in a lot of pain at the moment and it wears me out which doesn't help while trying to look after my boys. We will get through it I'm sure and I definitely agree - 3 is way worse than 2!!!
  • @ littlenat86 you are definitely not alone!!!

Shit, I made cupcakes one-handed yesterday! I CAN DO THIS!!!!
  • Another suggestion.
    Does she act up after eating foods with dyes, gluten, or wheat? Alot of kids are sensitive to those things but it goes unnoticed. Maybe try cutting those for a couple weeks and see if that helps? Have her eat more raw fresh produce, organic if possible because of pesticides
  • @ Bahamamama4828Im pretty sure its because she doesn't get enough sleep! She literally just started sleeping thru the night last summer! And she'll be four in June!!! We have to start a different bedtime cycle. It's hard because my husband works 7-7 and we try to have family time together at night. Thank you for the tip. We have started to switch to some gluten because my sister in law has just recently been diagnosed with celiac disease. But I think her problem is that she's a mini me and she's sleep deprived!!!
  • edited February 2012
    I have an eight year old and 2 year old, one due in Apr. My 8 year old girl is calm and very mature for her age. Two year old not so much. You have to be very persistent...like today I had a Dr appt, and had to take both kids. My son the 2 yr old was getting into stuff. I picked him up to sit him in the waiting room chair and he started screaming at the top of his lungs. He wouldn't stop so I took him into the foyer area which is away from the waiting room. There was no chair so I made him stand there. I don't say anything to him, let him cry. I time it for two mins. Then I just ask if he is ready to go back and explain he can't scream like that, I ask if ye is sorry. He says sorry and gives me a hug. We went back in and he was quiet and sat until we were called. Sometimes taking them out of the room/situation helps. Mind you I didn't think he understood or for that matter this would work bc at first it didn't buy I have been doing time puts consistently for about 6 months. If he gets up I sit him back down and the time starts over. At first its exhausting but eventually they get it. Sometimes if he is really upset or being bad I take him in an empty room on a chair with nothing he can reach. You also have to make sure no one talks to them while in time out. I never thought he would get it bc my daughter caught on real quick when she was little. But you know what the persistance def is paying off. Its very hard but keep at it...don't give up. I am trying to make sure he understands now bc once the little one comes its gonna be rough, a two year old and newborn.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My 3 year old daughter is a good girl. It took a lot of patience for both of us, but she knows that mama means business. She helps with her sister and never talks back. She has a very strict schedule though. She follows it now, but it was a task getting her to do it at first.