high blood preasure while pregnant??

edited February 2012 in First Trimester
The last couple times at the dr office my blood pressure has been high.. So my dr is putting me on medicine for it! I don't get why my blood pressure is high. I am healthy and active and not particularly over stressed. I do know everytime I go to the dr I get nervous cuz I think about it going bad.. Could that be why its high? I was just at the mall with my mom and we did the little blood pressure thing and it was in normal range. If I do have normal blood pressure and take this medicine will it be bad?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ^^^^agree!
    Also look up brewers diet, its great in treating and preventing hbp
  • How high was it
  • @HomeBirthAdvocate @Bahamamama4828

Thanks! Can blood pressure go to low? I am nervous to take the medicine but I feel like my dr knows what she's doing..

@preggointx it was 142 over 90 then 142 over 83 and at wic the other day it was 140 over 85. But today at the mall it was 121 over 75.
  • It can go to low but it depends on what your average BP is. Mine is naturally 90/60
  • That is high I had post partum preclamsia I had to go back in the hospital I say take the meds and stop if u see it going below 120/80
  • It all also depends if they are using the right size cuff for you. Too small a cuff will give a elevated reading which could then also explain the lower reading elsewhere with a different cuff etc. my wife had this issue a couple of times and got admitted to hospital once as it was rediculously high lol.
  • edited February 2012
    Idk what to do. I just picked up the medicine it is methyldopa 250mg twice a day. Idk if I should take it or not. :/
  • I took it towards theend of the third trimester, it was supposed to be twoce a day but they had to change it to once a day cause it would drop my bp really low when I took it twice a day
  • Mine was high near the end cos i had pre e, not that u have that but was just gonna say they told me you can effect the top number with stress or nerves but its the bottom number that is physical and u can't control it. Mine was always 70 ish on the bottom and went up to around a hundred. Mine was never consistently high it went up and down so never had meds.
  • I think mine is always high when I go in cuz I get nervous so idk. If I take it will I know if my bp goes too low? Or will it affect the baby. I'm only 10 weeks.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I took it towards theend of the third trimester, it was supposed to be twoce a day but they had to change it to once a day cause it would drop my bp really low when I took it twice a day
  • I think I will just call the dr and tell her how I feel. I mean there is no doubt I get nervous and anxious at my appts. Can blood pressure just go up and down a lot? Its just throwing me off that when I checked it at the mall it was normal. And I am on so many medicines already I don't want to be on something else!
  • I had high blood pressure the whole time like 171/110 and they never put me on meds. Nicholas is now a healthy 7 mo old
  • I dont get why my dr was so quick to put me on meds.. I am only 21 and active. I have never had problems with high blood pressure or any kind of medical problems. And I was on the low end of high.. Hmm :/ I have had 3 mcs so maybe that's why she's jumping to it? I am gonna call her tomorrow and tell her I am tells little nervous of taking it.
  • It may also to be with the blood thinners if you are having to do those also.