pumping question

edited February 2012 in Breastfeeding
Ok so sometimes I have trouble getting my pump to suck lol it took me 15 minutes today to get it. Sometimes I have no problem and sometimes I do. Idk how old the pump is because its my friends. I also know that all my pieces are connected and there is no where getting through. So why do I have problems once in a while?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @rileyand me its a medela pump in style double electric one. So you mommas think its the motor? @bahamamama4828
  • Im having trouble with mine it use to be easy and the motor sounds like its giving out. I have my pump up to highest it will go and barley sucks on it takes a while
  • That sounds like mine @debs...I really hope its not the motor since its a friends pump
  • It also reminds me of like my funnels don't fit right, like how your nipples are suppose to be already in the narrow part of the piece, mine sometimes aren't so it takes longer to draw the nipple out to create a suction to trap the air from the pump, but its not always like that, the piece acts like its too big, but I know for a fact the medium funnels are too small and don't get all my milk out and I've had to hand express while pumping to make sure its all out.
  • I check them about once a day to make sure they are ok and have no little holes or anything, maybe ill change them out and see if that helps..its been about a month since they've been changed so I guess they could be stretched out. I def don't use the pump as often since I've gone back to work and she's been nursing from both sides now. How often do you switch yours @rileyandme?
  • Lol I do have large ones and that's where I've had problems with sometimes being too big. Like everything else on my body right now its in between things so I guess I just have to deal with the issues every once in a while or have small ones lol
  • Well I guess I will be changing them once a month then lol. That is weird..to be honest, i don't even know where the battery pack is lol like I said idk how old it is and if my friend used it for her first than it would 7yrs old lol
  • Yea I don't have that lol its probably just the membranes that helped the last time.
  • My car adapter worked better than my regular plug in lol. O.o
  • Yea I have noticed the car adapter has worked better but I can't get as much out lol @bahamamama4828
  • I second the membranes..those lil things need to be changed often! Crazy how something so small can make a HUGE difference
  • Burlington sells everything for medela pumps!
  • Yea it is ridiculous how much of a difference they make @crystaldawn0830

@rileyandme you have the battery pack tho lol

@bahamamama4828 that's good to know
  • I also have the medela pump in style...I know you said everything is hooked up right, but with mine, the little nozzle that you turn for the vaccum, sometimes pushes up and makes the motor sound weird and decreases suction. Just a thought and a really big run on sentence...lol!
  • Check the valve n make sure there's no cracks. One of mine had a hairline crack that affected the strength of the suction. I could only pump one boob at a time til I replaced it. Also check the membranes. I had to replace mine too because they had tiny tears too. I think that was from not-so-gentle washing by my husband
  • Hmm ok thanks @mommyo4 I would've never thought to check that.

And yea I always check those since I found little pin hole tears in them last time but thanks @alilboulding