no baby food?

edited February 2012 in Food
My 9 month old refuses to let me feed her baby food..she wants things she can pick up and feed herself. I went out and bought her pasta pick ups made for toddlers she seems to really enjoy those and eats them pretty good..does anyone else's baby do this?

Comments

• Have you tried giving her the spoon so she can try to feed herself?
  • Yes its called baby led weaning and this is how babies should eat :) purees create an aversion to textures.
  • Yeah then she just dumps it on her high chair and smashes it with her hand or dumps it on herself..idk what to do I'm going to ask her doctor on Friday when she gets her 9 month shots but I figured I would ask you ladies. Have any of you used the spoon you fill with baby food maybe that will work? She has been doing this for a few weeks
  • @bahamamama4828. So its ok then? & just keep feeding her regular food and her bottles?
  • Yes its a great idea! :) she tastes different flavors and textures rather than watery tasting purees unless you make her food. If she reaches for it, let her eat it if its a safe food that's not too chewy or choke on.
  • She doesn't have to eat the entrees either made for babies. She can eat what you fix for everyone.
  • Good! She likes to be semi independent she also rarely drinks from a bottle she likes her milk in a sippy cup...she is just growing up too fast :(
  • Nothing wrong with that let her eat it. My son did that too pretty much skipped baby foods, well like the stage one and two...he wasn't interested. As long as its not anything that she will choke on she will be fine. My sisters kids are 15 months and she still only gives them fruit and cereal. At their first bday party (twins) the girl started choking on a cheerio, bc her husband is so paranoid about giving them anything but fruit and cereal they don't know how to handle food yet:(
  • My son did that at 10 months. I just went with it...
  • My daughter is like that!! I don't know what to give her tho! (I make all her food except cereal!) @bahamamama any suggestions? She's almost 9 months but no teeth...although she eats cheerios like its no ones business!
  • @natashalynn sounds like you're on the right track. Does she eat meats? Does she eat just regular table food you made placed in front of her?
  • @bahamamama I've tried giving her chunks of chicken, but I'm not sure how small to make them and I usually puree whatever veggies we have to spoon feed her. There are times where I give her small pieces off my plate (watermelon, potato,) and if I only give her finger food how do I know she's getting enough nutrients?
  • @natashalynn you don't have to puree you can give her small soft chunks. Meats you can chew a tad gross I know lol. Don't worry about nutrients she gets that from bm/formula. Eating solids before 1 is just a teaching tool.
    Food for fun before 1 :)
  • Thanks @bahamamama lol I don't mind pre chewing. Whatever works! I just worry about her. She honestly just doesn't like eating.(even bottles) shed rather be crawling, climbing, exploring. Drives me nuts!