feeling like a bad mom!

edited March 2012 in First time moms
Ok, so our daughter is just over 4 months old and she is sleeping in her own crib at night and in a pack n play during the day for naps. My hub and I have been debating taking away her binkie completely, starting with removing it from her nighttime routine and eventually her nap routine. We are doing this because according to someone claiming to be a professional, a binkie can be considered a "crutch" at night and if they fall asleep with it at night and wake up without it in their mouth, they cry until it's back in there. The same could be said for nursing or rocking them to sleep. Then, I have my mom saying that it's ok for her to have her binkie because sucking is a natural comfort for them and it can help them sleep better if they have one. I am so confused and don't know what is right because they both seem logical to me...we have been putting her down at night without one and doing the modified ferber method (check and comfort every 10 mins for a half hour) and it's been working well for the most part. Now, I am considering letting her use her binkie for comfort. What should I do? Am I a bad mom for not letting her sleep with her binkie? Idk what to do....sorry it's long, guys!

Comments

• If she's fine without it then don't give it to her. If you don't want her to have it tho then don't give it to her. You're not a bad mom if you make that decision. But I'd just let her have it if she wants it. At 4 months they do still suck for comfort. But no matter which decision you make...it doesn't make you a bad mother.
  • My daughter had a binky til she turned one and didn't do any harm to her.. I am also leaving the binky on my second til she turns one.. if you don't want her to have one just don't give her it.. if you want her to have one then just let her have it. You are a great mom regardless of the decision you decide to make
  • If she sleeps well without it I wouldn't give it to her. But I dont think it matters either way, my son self weaned at 10 months my daughter wont take one, instead she sucks her thumb and thats way worse than a binky. Your her mum and only YOU know whats best for your bub