parents who put oatmeal in babies bottle

edited March 2012 in Formula Feeding
My son eats 5-6 oz bottle before bed time and wondering how much is a good amount to put in bottle? His pediatrician said it was ok to do it because of his acid reflex when he was almost 3months but I never did it (he will be 6months soon). Now I wanna just do it for his night feeding to see if it helps him stay asleep longer. I also use the Playtex Ventair advance bottles and he still uses the slow flow nipples. What flow nipple should I use and what is good amount of oatmeal to put in bottle?

Comments

• The American Pediatric Association does not recommend it, but if your doctor said that it's okay, it's up to you :)

Unfortunately, it won't help him to stay asleep any longer. They have performed many studies on it and it has never been validated, but quite the opposite. It's an old wives tale.

You would need a faster flow nipple. Try a medium or fast flow. Even then, it still may not pass through enough and I've known a lot of moms that have to cut it open further. As for the amount, you would only want to put one scoop in his bottle.
  • I would put a teaspoon or teaspoon and a half of rice cereal in my sons bedtime bottle, he never slept any longer though.. I would use the fast flow nipple.. When my oldest was a baby, he's 11 now, I bought a feeder bottle and it was the best thing, it was made just for cereal and thicker foods however I dont think they sell them anymore cause ive looked in quite a few stores and I can't find them anywhere :(
  • Here is one of the studies on cereal in bottles for you.

"A study led by M.L. Macknin in the Department of Pediatrics at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation found that infants did not sleep any longer after being fed cereal. Furthermore, parents and caregivers should remember that six hours of uninterrupted sleep counts as sleeping through the night for infants younger than six months."

• Oh yeah, @mamapalmer, I forgot about those! They are called y-cut nipples or x-cut nipples. They are hard to find now because they are advised against by most peds and the APA. I am sure they can be bought online though.

• @mamapalmer i've seen feeder bottles in the baby depot in Burlington coat factory.
  • I wuld start wit a teaspoon to get his belly adjusted to it
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • We use tommee tippee x nipples and I usually mix 2 scoops(old washed formula scoopers) of rice cereal in her 5 oz bottles at night! I think when I first started I only used one scoop for the first week or so.
  • With my first born I cut the x myself in his nipples but if you do that make sure up sterilize the nipple before using it.
  • Avent makes thick flow nipples too. I got them at target.
  • Oatmeal is thicker than rice u need a fast flow I put a half of the formula scoop per bottle
  • I put 1.5tbsp in my sons 6oz bottle. It doesn't seem to help him sleep longer but it has seemed to help with the reflux.
  • Have you tried enfamil AR (added rice powder) its thicker but not so thick you need a x nipple. My baby is on it for reflux n target has a generic :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.