Just curious

edited March 2012 in Parenting
Ok, so when I first got with my husband I knew he had a daughter from a previous relationship, however the mother wouldn't let him have anything to do with her so he just went on about life. He tried a couple times to see her but as always the mom wouldn't allow it. She's 5 now and I'm curious as to if the mother could ever file for child support? I mean would a judge allow it, I mean do you have a certain time frame to do it if you know who the daddy is? I mean he's even on her birth certificate, and they live about 30 mins out so I mean it's not like she doesn't know the daddy or just found out or can't find him. I just always have this thought in the back of my head that she's going to pull the child support stunt since we're married and have a kid of our own and are doing fairly good with life.

Comments

• Well technically he does have a responsibility to the child he helped make...and if he wants to see her:him then he can take his ex to court to make her..
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • This is totally going the wrong way, it's not that he never wanted anything to do with his child, he's not been financially able to deal with child support, I know that he would have given her some money if she would have allowed him to see the child but she never allowed it. We don't have the kind of money to take her to court to see his child nor the kind of money to dish out child support. It was just a simple question I asked, instead it s being made out my husband just dipped out on his kid and it's not like that. He even gave her his brand new car when they split so that his child had transportation and yet she still kept the child away from him.
  • In my state if you're on any type of assistance you can file papers with the court for free or very low cost for visitation. Child support is based on income of both parents.
    In my case, I only asked for $100/mo but I could've gotten more.
    Good luck hope it gets figured out soon :)
  • PS and yes she can file anytime.