Anyone got a positive

edited March 2012 in Pregnant
Genetic test and their baby turn out ok

Comments

• My mother tested positive for downs with my brother. He's fine. Even got to skip kindergarden.
  • I had a friend in high school who was suppose to have down syndrome but shes fine
  • When I was pregnant with my ( month old I was told He would have TRISOMY 13 and that he wouldnt live long and if he did he'd have mental retardation and hes perfectly fine sometimes those tests are not accurate
  • Thanks everyone
  • I know my sil was told one of her twins may have downs but she's not due till May so we don't know yet.
  • It is so sad and makes you nervous to think that it might actually happen. Cartier was so easy I am praying everything is ok. I might have to have an amnio
  • Sending prayers your way..
  • How far along are you now? Cuz I thought they don't do amnios after 20w.... What are they thinking baby may have?
  • I'm 20 w 4d I tested positive for a.higher risk of down syndrome we will do extra testing tommorrow with a level 2 u/s and they will discuss whether I need further testing
  • @babyluv8

Thanks @janet_2011 & everybody else
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Any updates ?
  • edited March 2012
    There are a lot of false positives on those test, try not to stress too much. And if they want to do further testing besides the ultrasounds make sure you do plenty of research before making the decision to do so. They wanted to do further testing on my cousin's baby (while pregnant) and after weighing the risks (it can actually cause downs) my cousin decided to opt out. I never had the year in the first place because the doctor basically told me if I wouldnt terminate the pregnancy because of it there is no need to do so. So I don't have personal experience just make sure you do lots of research! Good luck hun, I will be praying.
  • This is exactly what happen I took a level 1 first trimester screen and it came back 1 in 10000 chance which is the best u can get. My doctor then gave me the blood test which came back 1 in 143 which is high risk They said that he should not have given me the test since I had the level one but my doctor gives it to everyone regardless of age of prior history. I went in for a second level 2 they could not get a good view of her face and heart becase she is a very active lil lady. I went in again for gentic counseling and a second more intense leve 2 screening. They said only 30-50% of babies with ds can b detected through an u/s the other options where to do an amnio that day I was 20w4d and they do it at Methodist Hospital until 21 weeks. The third option was to do a new age gentic test which they draw blood from the mother and look at just 3 chromosomes one being the 21st because extra copies if it i what causes ds. The procedure is non invasive to the fetus and is cutting edge many doctors don't know about it but because I went to a gentic counselor they were able to offer it but the problem is it's so new that medicaid and most insurance companies do not cover it. It cost almost 2,000. I was very confsed on whether or not to have the amnio they told ne to wait until after the u/s to decide. They were looking for heart problems and shorter legs and arms. My baby was very active but they got good pics of her heart and her legs and arms were longer than usual so they expect her to be tall. I am 5'7 dad is 6'4. I decided aganst the amnio because the doc said it is a 1/200 chance of misscarrage and if I wasnt going to have an abortion there is no bigger benefit than peace of mind and the risk is way greater. Now we just have to wait unti she is born to see if she will or won't have ds. I rebuke that in the name of Jesus. MY daughter is perfectly normal in God's name I speak it into existence.
  • what you just wrote gave me shivers. im praying that you get a healthy baby. in the case she does have DS, i just wanted to say that she is beautiful no matter what mama, and many many children born with DS live perfectly normal lives. that being said, i really feel that youre gonna be fine, these tests are so often wrong. xx
  • I was given 1 in 24 chance my lo would have DS. They kept pushing me for an amnio at every freaking appt, i went every week since 5 weeks. I refused because of the risks. All the anotomical sono and what not were taken and doctors basically tried to scare me and ruined my pregnancy. Long story short, she is perfectly fine and healthy. All worry for nothing.
  • The man I work with has ds. Hes 54 years old and leads a relatively normal life. He is capable of doing almost anything with a little supervision for safety. His ds is severe. so IF (thats a big if) your baby has it, everything will be alright. You will still have a beautiful baby who is capable of anything. Keep us updated!
  • OMG I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, I know God will have control of your baby's health. I wish you the best. My heart aches for you and your baby.. I really wish you a healthy baby:(
  • I'm praying for baby and family..I wish you a happy healthy baby
  • Dont worry momma your baby is going to be perfectly healthy in the name of Jesus!! Put all your worries in Jesus hands and he will take care of them. Enjoy your pregnancy! :)
  • My little brother has downs. He's the most amazing person i've ever met (besides my own childre). Everything will be fine. Its not a curse or anything like that. People with ds are the most loving, compassionate, forgiving people on this earth. They have hearts of gold. From the sounds of it, your little one most likely doesnt have it... With the longer limbs. Be at peace and trust God that everything will be alright.
  • Thanks everyone this has been a stressfu few weeks but I am letting go and letting Gdd work and He is truly awesome I am starting to feel her move so I'm starting to feel happy and excited again Thanks keep us in your prayer and on your prayer lists
  • I really feel in my heart your baby is going to a beautiful girl and just fine and perfectly healthy.
  • Thanks ladies
  • Prayers for healthy baby go ur way