Help! How do I switch my LO...

edited March 2012 in Formula Feeding
How do I switch my LO to cows milk? She will be one in 3 months and while she is not my first child, she is my first to drink formula. To make a long story short, I breastfed her for the first 3 and a half months, but she weaned completely due to thrush. She's been on formula since. I would love to hear any first hand experience from anyone with regards to switching from formula to whole milk. Any tips, tricks, problems? I just want to be prepared. Thanks!

Comments

• I was told not to give them cows milk until they are a year old.
  • edited March 2012
    @momaynot that's what I'm talking about....switching her when she's one (in three months)
  • edited March 2012
    I just read an article that says it is too hard on their kidneys and can cause internal bleeding. PLEASE talk to your pediatrician before you try this.
  • Oh okay... whew!
  • I am not sure about that.
  • I am tired and read it wrong oops! I thought it said she was three months boy do I feel stupid!
  • edited March 2012
    @momaynot no worries lol... I would never give her cow milk before she was one :)
    But I have heard of some people doing it...smh
    It is also bad because, they will lack the nutrients if they are switched before their first birthday
  • I started giving my son one half a cup a day until I new then slowly more and more until it replaced his formula
  • I just gave my daughter milk instead of formula. I put a bit of chocolate syrup in it the first day, lol.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Question. Probably a dumb question lol. Do they have to have anny regular milk at 1 or after?
  • @caroline8_p, according to APA, yes, it is necessary.

And not going to start an intense debate, but me and many many others believe the research that points to the fact that cow's milk is unnecessary and indeed harmful. My children do not drink cow's milk often.
  • What HBA said is perfect.
    but you don't have to do cows milk, the body doesn't actually absorb the nutrients in it.
    We don't do cows milk either :)
  • @babyinblack682 @captivated @homebirthadvocate @bahamamama4828
    Thanks for the advice :)
    I'm going to try what HBA said
    We all drink milk here but we drink 1%
    Obviously she will be getting whole milk though...on the plus side, she loves yogurt and cheese so I'm hoping she will love milk as well :)
    Thanks again
  • i always just start giving it to them when they turn 1yr.. or around 11mnths.. a bottle at a time .. i never had a problem switching .. so hopefully you wont either
  • edited March 2012
    @lae3 thanks I hope we won't have any problems either :)