diaper rash

edited March 2012 in Babies
We came from the hospital and the baby has a diaper rash. The told us she had one before we left but it looks really bad. Its like on the inside of both cheeks and its really read and looks like bad rug burn. We've been using balmex and desiten but it doesn't look like its working. How long does it take for diaper rash to usually go away? And is there a better cure? She screams everytime we change her. And how often should you change newborn? We change about every 2 to 3 hours when she eats.

Comments

• Try a and d ointment or butt paste. And sounds like you are changing her plenty.
  • We change as soon as its wet, when my son was a newborn, it was almost every 30 min. We had the diapers with the line that turned yellow when the diaper was wet! Also it does take a while for the cream to work. Make sure you let her bottom dry completly after wiping before putting on the cream!
  • I use butt paste and it is great! None of the other creams worked good. And make sure she completely dry before you apply it because if not then diaper creme will just seal in the moisture under it and make the rash worse.
  • She was just born & already has a diaper rash? Maybe try cloth diapers? She might be reacting to a chemical in the diapers. Changing her 2-3 hours is perfect. Make sure she's dry before you put diaper on, like from the wipes, and try to leave her exposed to air as much as possible. It was my understanding that diaper rash didn't typically occur until they were on solids & their poop was more acidic & hard on skin. I'd try cloth diapers & see how she does, good luck! That's tough!
  • @baileygoose my lo got diaper rashes long before she was on solids so Idk how true that is.
  • I breast fed, so my lo got rashes if I ate something that didn't agree with him.
  • @babyzoey I used just soft warm wet wash clothed to clean that area bc my little girl had that n its much more gental. it really helps!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The only diaper rash cream I use is dermicita (sp) but I think you may have to get it from a dr. One or two uses & its basically gone
  • edited March 2012
    I second what @mom2ing said, also try buying a different brand of diapers. I have known babes who are allergic to Huggies but do fine with pampers and vice versa. Also try putting white petroleum jelly on, it will help the poop wipe off easier without having to wipe or rub as much. another thing, try adding baby cereal to any diaper cream you have, make a paste out of it and put it on really thick. It depends how bad the rash is, for the time it takes to heal. Good luck