Day care

edited March 2012 in Babies
I pay 155.00 a week and I really can't afford it but I have good news my NCI funds are avaliable but anywho my baby has been there a week and is already sick is there something I can safely give him to boost his ammune system he is 7 months old

Comments

• Maybe baby vitamins? I forgot their name.. Maybe they help, I am not sure though:(
  • @janet_2011 I have tri vi sol
  • Oh then I have nothing else to suggest. My friend's kids are always sick because of the day care too. I guess is something that happens.
  • yea they keep it cold and then the other babies r there but luckily he is 2 minutes from my job
  • Carrots, green beans, strawberries, oranges are great foods to boost immune system! You can puree them or get them in baby food (the carrots and green beans). I feed my 8 month old some mashed up strawberries :)

Sleep time is important and lack of sleep can lower the immune system, especially at a daycare center when there is so much activity that LO doesn't nap well. If he didn't sleep well at daycare one day, try putting him to bed slightly earlier.
  • I found this website, maybe it is helpful for you! Some of them like the water one are for older children, but I'm sure you know that. http://www.mummums.com/baby-health-nutrition/baby-development/8-ways-to-boost-kids-immune-systems/

Here are 8 ways to boost kids’ immune systems:

1. Lather, rinse, repeat: Hand washing may not boost a child’s immune system directly, but it most certainly helps reduce stress on their bodies by reducing exposure to bugs. Hands are laden with germs, so make sure your kids wash often and with soap-teach them to lather while singing twinkle twinkle or happy birthday twice before rinsing.

2. Identify allergens: Symptoms of allergies, both food and environmental, often produce very similar symptoms to that of the common cold. If your child has allergies and is frequently exposed to the allergen, their immune system is under constant attack leaving little left to fight an actual cold. Food allergies are no different, as they can elicit the same immune response. If your child has chronic flu-like or cold symptoms, you may want to talk to your pediatrician about allergies.

3. Get some Z’s: Several studies have found adults who lack sleep are more susceptible to illness and researchers are finding the same holds true for little ones. Kids in daycare are particularly at risk because the flurry of activity can make it difficult to nap. If your child will not nap but is needing extra sleep, make bedtime a little earlier.

4. Keep them moving: This may seem like an easy one if you have a busy toddler, but keeping kids’ bodies moving with daily exercise can help increase bacteria-fighting cells. It is also a great way to instill a lifelong healthy habit.

5. Push produce: Fruits and vegetables contain a wealth of immune boosting nutrients like vitamin C and carotenoids in addition to cell-protecting phytochemicals and antioxidants. Try to work your way up to 5 servings of fruits and veggies a day.

6. Don’t demand medications: Exposure to various bugs and illnesses is actually what helps build up immunity. If you have taken your baby or child to the doctor and she doesn’t recommend taking antibiotics then follow her advice! Most kid’s colds are caused by viruses, and antibiotics can only make things worse weakening the immune system in the long run.

7. Try a vitamin: although it is best to obtain nutrients from foods, if your child is a picky eater or refuses to eat fruits or vegetables, a quality age appropriate vitamin might help get in those immune system helpers found in foods.

8. Stay hydrated: make sure your child drinks plenty of fluids like water and 100% fruit juices while avoiding sugary drinks and sodas.
  • I believe @bahamamama4828 (did I get that right?) has said she gives her kids probiotics. Maybe she can help too.
  • Probiotics are great! Helps immune system and bowel issues. :)
  • Cod liver oil added to whatever baby eats has vit a and d that's great for the immune system.