im worried

The state is going after my oldeSt daughter's dad for child support. He has not seen her in 11 years or has He spoke to her or anything. I have full custody of her and have for 11 years. Her dad has tons of daughters. He has threatened me in the past that if He has to pay child support He will try to take her away from me. I'm so scared. I can't lose my baby

Comments

• I don't think that will happen. :) I believe a child at a certain age can choose where they want to live here in Oregon.
  • edited April 2012
    11 years of ZERO child support and hasnt seen her? I HIGHLY doubt he would win!

Dont fret! He has a RESPONSIBILITY to you and those other mothers!

And the state is going after him, not you :) relax hun.
  • I'm scared He will try to get visitation and she would have to go to cali. She doesn't want anything to do with him.
  • What state are you in?
  • this sort of relates to 'divorce', but close enough scenario.

"There is no age at which a child can choose which parent to live with in Oregon. There are, however, a few methods by which a child can have input in the process. 1. An attorney can be appointed for the child. If the child is old enough, the attorney can advocate for the child's wishes; 2. If there is a custody evaluation, the child will be interviewed and the evaluator may take the child's views into account; 3. The child can testify in court. I never have children testify and am opposed to it.

Judges do not want children to be involved in the process and it is generally thought that the less a child can be involved in the process, the better. That being said, an attorney can help a parent to advocate for their child's wishes. "

http://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/at-what-age-in-oregon-can-a-child-decide-which-par-51282.html

(I know in Tx a child 12 or older can decide who they want to live with)
  • @caroline8_p He tells people he's broke so I sorta don't think He will want to deal with a lawyer. When I got custody He had supervised visitation which He never used. She's 12 now.
  • I think in some states after a certain amount if years of no contact that parent has no rights. If he does try to get custody I highly doubt any judge would give it to him because he's been absent from her life for so long.
  • Yea. I just don't want him getting visitation.
  • OK I just found out if a parent hasn't voluntarily seen their child after 30 days its automatic parental abandonment in Oregon. I have an attorney who's also my friend.
  • @bahamamama4828 so if He pays the state child support can He try to get visitation? Jasmine is scared. She doesn't know him at all.
  • Child support has nothing to do with visitation unless of course an order is in place.
  • @bahamamama4828 I worried He will try to get one
  • If He tries to get visitation I will scream. He only has to pay $143 a month.
  • I wouldn't worry. If he only pays that, that means he has no money for an attorney or filing fees or whatever.
  • He would do it just to get back at me. But He does know I will fight him. I just don't know what his wife will push for. He's a dead beat. No one knew He had kids up here. I just can't bare the thought of him ever being able to take her. If He wants to come up here to see her fine but I'm sure the heck going to be there
  • @smcox lol yea in Oregon and California according to what I just read He falls under 3 of the reasons to terminate parental rights. I'm not so worried now