my friend wasnts to donate her milk to me

edited April 2012 in Breastfeeding
My friend has been stocking up milk for her daughter when she goes back to school but she won't need it for another 6 months and doesn't want it to go to waste so she asked me if I would like it cuz she knows I wasn't able to successfully breastfeed my son. So what am trina ask is would it be weird if I she donates it to me? I don't care but my husband thinks its weird cuz its from someone elsa. Opinions please

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • i dont think its weird, people did it all the time in the olden days, wet nurses were common. its worth a go at least.
  • I don't think its weirk d at all, I've donated milk to a complete stranger.
    Since you know her , I would personally go for it :)
  • Do it! Bm is great! Not to mention the $$$ you'll save by not buying formula.
  • Not weird! I donated to my sister! Such a great thing!
  • Okay... Not trying to be Debbie Downer BUT unless she's willing to go through the test they have donators go through I wouldn't.

The reason I'm saying this is the person must be compatible. Why do I say this.

My own child and I weren't compatible. Let me see if I remember this right I'm O+ and her dad is A- she was born OA- ...

What happened was when I breastfeed her her body tried to fight off the stuff that was in my blood that was in the breast milk. This caused her to be jaundice the first month.. then again at 4 months and they said she can become jaundice at anytime during the time I BF her. I still decides to continue BFing her anyway... Which I'm glad I did..

With saying this.. her milk could cause unneeded issues..
  • edited April 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I would as long as she doesnt drink or smock like someone else said :). I have a hard time producing I would take if a friend of mine asked me to take hers.
  • I did it! My milk never came in! I was super disappointed! But one of my best friends who had given birth just 3 weeks before me had an over supply. She was producing more milk than her daughter could keep up with. She is a very healthy person, wouldn't even take Tylenol when she was preggo LOL so she donated to me so my son was able to get at least some nutrients that I couldn't provide. <3 I was very thankful to her!
  • Oh and my husband thought it was weird at first too. But he knew the nutrients and benefits outweighed the "weirdness" of it. And he pointed out we not only drink milk from someone else all the time... It's from a different species LOL
  • I had to get the shots for the rh factors with both of my kids due to my husband and I not having compatable blood types and my blood is not compatable with my kids either bc they both have his. I tried to breastfeed with both (was not successful) but none of the doctors or LC ever said anything to me about my breastmilk causing a problem bc of the blood types.

Back to your original question I dont think it is weird, but even though it is a close friend I would still be nervous bc you never know what may have happened to that milk or even if it was stored properly... example it may have thawed out and then she refroze it or something, idk I guess I'm just nervous about what my kids are eating and I dont really think there is anything wrong with formula. I would of rather my kids had breast milk but since I could not do that I had no problems giving them formula. However I would be nervous about giving them some one elses breast milk.
  • @rileyandme, I'm Rh Negative. It doesn't interfere with breastfeeding at all. :)
  • ^^^^nope it doesn't interfere
  • im rh negative also, I had to get a shot with my son. I also breast feed.
  • Hmmmm thanx everyone for your input. Makes me think about a lot and have questions for her. She's my bff and am always with her so I know she doesn't smoke or drink at all and has a really good diet.

I will also talk to his Pedi to see what she thinks also