Smacking?

edited April 2012 in Parenting
My 10 month old son has made it to the crawling stage :-S He always goes straight for the plug ins, cords, and strings on the blinds, and I want him to know that those things can hurt him, but when i firmly tell him no and move him away he goes right back. My husband thinks we should start lightly smacking his hand when telling him no. I can't decide whether he is old enough for that yet though? So what do you ladies think?

Comments

• I would love to know too my son does that all the time.
  • I think redirecting baby would be good too. When he touches something, find something that might spark interest. Make sense?
  • My sis in law did that. It worked wonders
  • ive tried that. He seems interested in one of his toys or something for a minute but then he just holds that toy in one hand while dragging it back to the cords or plug ins
  • Yea redirecting is not working so well for me he moves right back to the chords and I'm constantly moving him away
  • i've tried putting him in his playpen after he goes back after ive told him no and redirected him to something else, but as soon as i let him out he goes right back...
  • I use his middle name and last name as well and he still does it.I'm not into spanking so I guess I just need to be persistent
  • Babies don't have the cognition to understand what a smack would mean before 12 months of age. It doesn't start fully developing until about age 2. Hence, whole milk for brain development til 2, sentence structure starts and potty training can begin. All babies learn at different rates, but 2 is about the guideline for cognitive development.
  • I did start swatting davids hand when he started crawling and getting in to things that were dangerous. I baby proofed as much as possible but they always find something lol. I didnt do it hard, and only when it was something potentially dangerous. I dont see anything wrong with it if you dont over do it, or do it hard. To each their own. If you dont feel comfortable, dont do it
  • With Victor I told him no a few times and that was that, I didn't even have to baby proof to much. I always thought other parents were over reacting.

With Lilium I learned I was lucky the first time. She gets into everything and is constantly getting into and going after things that she is not allowed to. Like you redirection doesn't work, she just walks away from me and goes back to the "no no" in question.

What I ended up having to do is 100% baby proof the rooms she is mostly in (the living room, her bed room, and our bed room) surprisingly it didn't cost as much as I thought it would.

For blinds I took the cords on the blinds I put a large eye hook on top of the window frame and *tightly* wrapped the cord around it.

• I would say yes, because I dont think that anyone really knows if they are "too young" to understand or not. Plus it is either teach them now or wait until they are older when the habits are usually already established. Also, I feel like I have to say something to my LO even if they dont understand because I have to disciplin my 3 year old. I dont want my older son to feel "picked on" because he little brother can do something and get away with it.
  • A light tap with a stern voice should work. I don't see any harm in that. It really doesn't take much i think it hurts their feelings more than anything.
  • It takes a while, but keep moving him away and saying "no" or "ouch". Hitting a baby is never ok. They don't know that you're hitting them for "bad" things. Redirection takes time. Its a learning process, smacking just makes them scared and confused.