Atv for my 5 yr old??

edited April 2012 in Parenting
I want to get my son a quad for his 5th birthday. I go back and fourth on it though. I got my first 4 wheeler when I was 12 (single mom couldn't afford it until then.) But a lot of my friends had been riding since they were 4 & 5. I think my son would loveee it. I will definitely be looking for one that I can cap off the speed with whatever I feel comfortable (like 5mph) until I feel he could handle it going faster. He loves to ride power wheels, really anything he can ride and enjoys ride the big quads with an adult. The only thing that scares me is the brake situation, the only brakes he has had to use was a bike. The quad I am looking at has the ability to cap off speed and has a brake cord I can pull from behind to stop him in emergency situations. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• I say go for it!
  • edited April 2012
    I got my little brother one at 5. It has a max speed that wasn't to high. But he was also to scared to go any faster than anything he was ready for so he did great.
  • @mimii36 do you remember how many cc's it was? The one I'm looking is 50cc
  • @captivated I think I am, my cousin who is really familiar with atvs said he doesn't think my Lo is ready for gas powered. So I think that's why I'm questioning myself, his power wheel goes 3mph in slow and 5mph in fast, so really the only difference would be the brake.
  • I got my son who will be five may 4 a 50cc..I think its good to start early and teach them the safety....I feel when they are older they feel like they already know it all but early you can make it like a routine...
  • And my son has had a power wheels one since 2.5
  • @mmy21ttc I completely agree, teach them safety before they are to "cool" for it, I had a friend that died on an atv @ the age of 17, he was drinking, not wearing a helmet and riding on a country road and flipped it, so I guess thats always in the back of my mind... How is your son doing with it so far?
  • @mmy21ttc my son has also been on a power wheel (truck) since 2.
  • My 4 year old had a 50cc quad... It also has the speed cap off and the emergancy brake cord. He has a blast! I say go for it. I would just make sure he has a good helmet and neck brace! ;)
  • @outnumberedbyboys do you what make and model it is? I will definitely make sure he has everything you can get to keep him safe, never knew about a neck brace, but if they have it ill find it! Did your son start off good on it? What can I expect starting him off?!
  • I can ask my husband what make and model because I'm not sure. Lol. NWe got his neck brace and a power sports shop here in NV. My son did amazing on it his first couple of times... He just went kinda slow by himself... He was really cautious. My mom lives on 10 acres so he couldn't really get crazy because it is all fenced in different areas.
  • My husband says he isn't sure what make and model it is. It is older... between 2000 to 2002. My husband also says you might want to look for one that has an electric kill switch so that if he gets away from you, you can still kill the quad.
  • Awesome thanks for asking him! I will look into it! Never knew they made them! Thanks so much hun!
  • He doesn't get it for a couple weeks :(