Pink breastmilk!! Pic included!!

edited May 2012 in Breastfeeding
Hello ladies I rarely post here but I'm like freaking out!! I need advice!! I've been breastfeeding for 6 1/2 months now and this has never happened to me before!! So right now I just started pumping and my milk is pink!! only from my left breast and I notice my breast hurts a little too. Has this happened to anyone before? I'm not planning on letting my lo drink it! I'm going to see if I can post a pic on here hope it works!
http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr66/frankcyn/d8097f03.jpg

Comments

• Its never happened to me but wow! Save it ans take it to the Dr
  • edited May 2012
    I have been exclusively pumping for 7 months. the only time my milk look like that its when my nipple is cracked n when I pump depending on what level suction it bleeds n the blood will turn ur milk pink.
  • Yep. Looks like blood I milk. Did you have any pain? A duct could've clogged.
  • I had this w my first. Its blood. My daughter made my nipple bleed which is normal for sum women but I wouldn't let ur baby drink it. Dnt freak out. Ur fine. On bright side it looks like u made strawberry milk. Lol jk. Just tryin to cheer u up.
  • I had this a few times when I was bf. There is no harm in giving it to your lo. Only a couple drops will turn your milk pink. It wont effect the flavour or be harmful in anyway as your body makes milk from your blood (I was told this from the Australian breastfeeding association)
    Use some nipple cream to help heal any damaged tissue. If it continues or gets worse get yourself checked by your doc
  • Yeah I was bleeding while feeding/pumping and my health visitor said its fine for baby to drink!
  • edited May 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wow never seen this hope u get better
  • I've had green and purple tints but never pink or this dark. Crazy!
  • Its just blood. Its safe. I had this happen before.
  • Yup blood. Its fine. Used to happen to me when I pumped
  • From what I understand you can rupture blood vessels inside the breast. (Not visable from outside) so thats what it could be. But man that is SOOOOO dark!! If it keeps up that dark or you start to feel dizzy or sick I would call the doctor or go in...
  • Thank you so much ladies! My nipples are not cracked or bleeding at all. I just pumped again and I saw the blood squirting out of my breast! I don't have any pain anymore but I just noticed a drop in my supply from that breast!! And I exclusively pump my lo refuses to latch on so it's not like he could of bit me or something.. Weird!!!

Lmao at the strawberry milk!!
  • Must be an awesome pump if its sucking THAT hard. Lol. For real though, I'm sure it will pass soon!
  • Do you take any medications? I watched this show once & this lady's milk was pink (I think pink) & it was her medication or she had a medical condition she didn't know about. Mommy brain is foggy, sorry. Don't assume its blood, at least get it tested.
  • @caroline8_p now that u mention it I've been taking elderberry juice everyday.. It's not a medication but it's bright red I wonder if that could be it! Thanks so much!! @bahamamama4828 could it be that? Did that ever happen to you while taking elderberry juice? Is it even possible?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I know a few drops of blood in bm is ok, but if there is burning you may want to talk to your doc b4 giving your lo the milk
  • Get it checked.. if it was the juice wouldnt it be both breasts? Get check especially since its squirting blood... thats NOT good...
  • oh yes haha the elderberry will do that! it did that to me for a day. let me know if it continues when you stop taking the elderberry
  • that is crazy! never ever seen that before haha wow in away thats cool look :D not to be weird
    but its probley blood
  • It could take 2 weeks for it to stop, don't worry. Even IF it were a medical condition, none of them are serious and the only treatment is TIME. No worries. :)