Breaking the cycle

edited May 2012 in Parenting
So I come from a broken family. My parents were divorced when I was 8. They got a divorce bc of my dad's infidelity. I grew up sayin I wanted my husband to be nothing like my dad (dont get me wrong I love my dad with all my heart but he's not a good husband) I swore up n down when I have kids I would have a "complete" family. Well...Kay's dad n I r not together bc of his lying n cheating n he reminds some what of my dad...just what I said I didnt want. I want this cycle to end. How do I try n prevent Kay from going through the samething when she gets older?

Comments

• Believe it or not, most women marry men that resemble their fathers. I see many traits in my husband that my dad has.

Only advice I recommend is finding a good man that will treat both you and your daughter like you are his world. Always have respect for one another. You are leading by example and she is absorbing everything like a sponge.

There is no need telling her how horrible her father was to you. She doesn't need to know the details. All she needs from the two if you is unconditional love and guidance.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You just teach het what's right. And when another man does come into your life..you make sure he is nothing like your bf or father. If she sees a good man...then she will know what to look for.
  • edited May 2012
    Look in the friendzone :)

My dad was an ass too. My Mom left him when I was 4 cause she found out something she didn't like. We tried for years to call him, as his daughters, but he was always 'busy'. Then he passed away at 50/51 when I was 12. Hit me hard cause the time I did actually have with him, I was such a daddy's girl.
  • @mijita I would never tell her anything negative about her dad. My mom never did that n I wouldnt either. Actions speak louder then words n unfortunatley she's gonna see how he is herself. But girl it's so hard finding a good man. Maybe there is something that I need to change about myself (something inside) since i'm attracting the wrong kinda guys.
    @mimi36 I didnt think he was like my dad until we split n then I saw it.
  • @caroline8_p I was a daddy's girl until I saw him for who he was
  • Not much you can do in relation to cheating. Men cheat, women cheat- it's human nature. What is in your control is who you bring around your child and how your relationships are portrayed to your child. If you have a very healthy relationship, that will teach them what a relationship should be! :)
  • @homebirthadvocate thanks for the advice hun
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.