New House VS. Engagement Ring

edited May 2012 in Relationships
Ok here's one for you girls!

So I have been struggling for a while with this entire marriage thing with my honey. He wants to get married but just on his terms. Whatever! That wasn't flying with me.

So I finally told him I was done and that's it ..... so he got a reality check and became instantly ready ... We went out and put this gorgeous gorgeous ring on 5 month lay-a-way.

So only 1 month left and only $400 to go to pay it of then the other 1/2 will go on our credit account.

Well, my property manager said they were going up on the rent. I had already been working on our credit and savings preparing us for next year or the year after to buy a house.

Well the opportunity surfaced and loan approved, we located a beautiful home thats spacious, less then 5 years old and was actually a model home.

It's been sitting on the market and we got it. Payments are the same price we're paying for rent now.

Only thing is... We have to use the money on my ring to make up the difference of the down payment.

Fucken sucks! :-(

But atleast I'll be able to continue to be a stay at home mom!

I still want my freak'n stink'n ring :-(

Comments

• So all that money he put on the ring is just gone down the drain?
    Or do you still get to make payments on the ring and just get it at a later date than planned?
  • edited May 2012
    @mimii36 we need to use the money that we've been applying to lay-a-way to make up the rest of our down payment on the house

We're cancelling the lay-a-way and getting the money back.
  • Ok..I was thinking you couldn't get that money back. I was about to say Oh No!
  • But I'm back to no ring @mimii36... :-(
  • I know the feeling all too well. Lol.
    But at least you get a house. That's still great. I can't say its better. Lol. But that's just me. I couldn't buy a house with a "boyfriend". But then again..you're on the right track...at least you almost got a ring! I guess that's good enough effort on his part so...maybe I would be okay with the house over the ring. Maybe!
  • Well look at it this way you can't live in a ring....you will get the ring one day. You will just have to wait a little longer! And buying a house together is a huge step in your relationship what that means he really really wants to be in it for the long haul with you and that's definitely wonderful! Congratulations girl!!
  • Awww thanks @Chels ... You made it sound so much better..

But @mimii36 who says you can't live in a ring. LOL
  • Is he at least going to get the ring back for you after the down payment? Congrats on the new house, that's a really big step!
  • House for sure!
  • I'd rather get a house!! I'd just wear one if those super real looking fake ones until I got the real thing lol
  • @starrxoxo9... I guess I could fake it until I make it. LOL

@ErikaK22 ... Yes, he said "honey don't worry about it we'll get you a bigger and better one." But I just don't see it happening. I went through Hell just to get "that one" on lay-a-way.
  • i didnt get an engagement ring, period. i asked him to marry me though, n we didnt have a lot of money so we decided to put the money we woulda spent on the ring to better use. i was secretly pissed though, but i made him buy me one after the wedding on our first anniversary. i think even with the new house, id still feel pissed. not because id rather have the ring than the house, but because its like taking ten steps backwards, and i know how hard you worked on getting to that point. have you told him how sad u feel that you're being put on hold? The guy obviously cant magic up a ring right this minute, but if you make it clear how important this is to you and maybe try n set a timeframe up for getting your new ring, he may make extra effort and you wont end up back at square one.
  • I won't tell! ;)
  • I agree with @chels my bf and I bought a house (its done being built in 20 days!) Which means no ring for me! But a house is a huge commitment! A ring is nice, but a house is saying this will be OUR home.
  • Ive been married for almost 8 years and i dont have an official ring yet. We were totally broke when we got married. My husband had just grafuated nd not yet found a job and i was in college and we were prego w our first. Never really bothered me too much. Our first xmas married he got me a nice little ring and ive been wearing that since. However, there r days i wish i had a nice fancy ring but just HATE thinking of spending so much money on myself. BUT i know the ring i want some day and since ive been waiting soooooo long... U can bet its going to b one hell of a ring. ;) all in all i dont mind waiting for the PERFECT ring. A home is a million times better than any ring imo. :)
  • i choose a new house cause we just had baby and we wanted to stop hopping from apartment to apartment and finally settle down. im okay for waiting on the engagment ring i know its still on its way to my finger! :)