Random question about formula coupons

edited May 2012 in Formula Feeding
You know the coupons you get in the mail for like $5 off a can of formula? I get them all the time from Gerber, Enfamil, & Similac. Anyways, I was surprised when I used one at Walmart one time & they asked for my I.D. (I usually go to Target & they never have asked for it before). She said that they were to treat these like checks and need to be sure the name on the "check" matches the person buying. Hmmmm. I trade these with my friends all of the time. Luckily that day I was using a coupon with my name on it but I've been curious ever since if they would refuse it if I used one from a friend. Anyone know? When you're spending $150 on formula every month those $5 off coupons add up ;-)

Comments

• edited May 2012
    Omg! I have literally shredded like $100 because they had my name on them. Are you telling me someone else could have used them?!?! :-((
  • They aren't supposed to ask for id its more of a coupon even though its processed as a check. I used to work Walmart. That's crazy :(
  • I'm a manager at Target and we process them like a check but its a coupon and we don't ask for id. I use ones with other peoples name on them too.
  • @Mijita Oh no! Well save them from now on and pass them on :)
    @Bahamamama4828 @LilliansMom @mommy2Ari Thank you so much for responding! I guess I don't have to worry about sharing & trading, that's great!
  • @baileygoose, I will! I see people giving them here all the time, but never mentioned endorsement so I just figured they were different ones. I feel bad! :-(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have lots of them to get rid of.
  • The best deal I have found is at BJ's wholesale. A big container of similac is $29.99 (34oz) I believe...and they take as many similac "checks" as you give them. So I normally buy 4 containers a month for $60. And they all have different names on the check
  • I went to costco and my moms the one with the card, we had used mine millions of times then one cashier wouldnt take it cause it didnt match the members name
  • Costco always gives me a hard time too. I don't know why but all my friends who haven't had babies in years are receiving coupons and I'm not. And I'm signed up, I called to check! So the name is different. That's the only place that really bothers with it. But if anyone has Similac checks they aren't using, we would really appreciate them!!!
  • I just used one today at Walmart and the lady asked for my ID, then she proceeded to explain to the trainee that you have to card people because "sometimes people come in here with all these different names on the checks, because they steal them out of peoples mailboxes."
    Wow! I had to butt in and tell her, I don't think people steal them out of mailboxes, they exchange ones amongst friends for formula they don't use! Smh!