Why the hell does he stink!?

edited May 2012 in Babies
Okay, so my 5 1/2 month old always smells a little funky (his head/hair). I have no clue why. He gets a bath everynight. I can literally JUST scrub his head & hair and it still has a weird odor. Anyone have any idea why?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @mama_kat No idea why? I cant figure it out and im going insane. I dont even know how to describe the smell :/
  • My son's is the same way :-? It smells almost like old food!
  • This maybe a dumb question, but are you cleaning under his chin and neck rolls? Keegan always gets food and formula up under there. Just an idea..
  • @1stwoodsbaby yea I always scrub under his neck and rolls really well because hes so fat lol. The smell is coming from his hair and/or scalp. Like @captivated said, it does kinda smell like old food except he doesnt even eat food yet, just bottles lol. I JUST gave him a bath and really scrubbed his head and it still freakin stinks. Im so pissed
  • It happens to Malia too. Smells sort of like her spit up after nursing. Its not potent, just when I personally smell her little baby head. Lol. But, she doesn't spit up much anymore.
  • edited May 2012
    My kids have never had a stinky...anything, but I found your post interesting and after a quick research I found this, hope it helps some.
    http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Dermatology/children-with-smelly-scalp/show/726809
    it seems you are not the only one
  • No problem, I hope you can determine the cause and then get rid of it! :) maybe find a dermatologist. Good luck momma
  • @DavidnAadynsMama ... What nationality/ethnicity are you. Years ago I was watching this documentary about babies. It said that during the 5th through the 7th month mommy and baby will BOTH undergo a hormone dump. During this time you and your baby could smell. Hormones are released from the skin glands. And from mommy its released through discharge.

Ok another approach.. do you notice it AFTER you leave the house and come back? Also what temp do you keep your house? Maybe it needs to be cooler.

I notice that when I bathe my kids and they remain inside they smell delicious.. as soon as we go outside no matter what they return smelling like wet dogs. Well not my LO.
  • @summergirl22 yeah I hope so too. Ive noticed it for awhile and cant scrub it away. Well, my mom watched my boys today and when I picked them up, my mom said "why does aadyns head stink Lisa!?". She said it like I dont clean my baby! Really made me mad lol
  • I would be mad at that comment as well. Sometimes weird things happen that you can't control. My daughter was born with a form of noisy breathing (she's outgrown it now) and people would always say she sounds like she has a cold. I knew most people didn't know/understand but when her docs/nurses would say it, I would get pissed. Um read her damn chart before you feel like making your comment. Lol
  • Idk why it bothered me, but it did. I guess I just thought the one place I wouldn't have to explain it to would be her doctors!
  • @ynvtish we are white. its been fairly warm in my house but it was like this during winter too. He was born in Dec
  • @summergirl22 Aadyn breathes like that too. Sounds like hes congested but hes not. Its gotten a little better since birth though
  • edited May 2012
    Yes that's how it sounded. Hers was called laryngomalacia. It never caused her any problems. But I did have to get a barium swallow exam and a crest xray and a visit to an ent where he shoved a camera up her nose, only to say she was too little to do the test! They wanted to rule out anything more serious like with her trachea. In the end they determined it was what they thought to begin with... Smh it was hell
  • @DavidnAadynsMama ... I'm sorry I never said the reason why I was asking your ethnicity... Im black and ny bestfriend is white. When she was younger her mom said she smelled like this as well. Her mom would bathe her and wash her hair well.. then blow dry her hair and toward the end she would sprinke baby powder in her hair and come it through. She had blond silky hair so it just kinda blemished with the color.

Her mom said it kept Emily smelling fresh throughout the day.

Not sure if and how to really really do it... But I also heard a movie star say during an interview they did it as well...
  • @ynvtish I figured thats why you were asking lol Thanks for all the input chick :)
  • Maybe give your baby some nursery water or change baby soap/ shampoo???
  • does ur baby have cradle cap? that was the cause for my daughters scalp odor.i washed her hair every other day and id scrub her head witg a soft baby brush then id comb out the flakes..combing back then forth repeatedly
  • Hmm.. Malia still has a little cradle cap, never thought of that. She is 9mo @mybambina28
  • Mine smells too even after a bath. I put baby powder under his neck fat rolls. And lotion everywhere else :) problem covered.
  • @mybambina28 no,
    he hasnt had cradle cap for months

@leggs2011 do you put lotion on baby's head too or just body? That seems to work, or at least help?

@mybabe yeah, we've tried using different products. No change in odor :(
  • @mybabe What exactly would the nursery water be used for?
  • Let him drink the nursery water to clean out his pores... kinda like a dermatologist would say drink water to clear out face pores... I figured maybe that may clear out his scalp pores!!!
  • @mybabe ahhh I see. Is there really a difference between nursery water & regular bottled water???
  • edited May 2012
    @mama_kat Well, I actually give aadyn distilled water. Thats what I meant. Is that okay? I use it for his bottles but actually, now that hes older, I use tap water when I run out doesnt hurt his belly or anything