My last BF

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding
Well I have finally come to terms with my milk production, well lack thereof. This morning was my last on breast feed. :-( I am going to still pump as much as I can until its gone. He is not gaining weight and actually has lost so I cant risk him for my trying to bring it back. He is 7 1/2m and even those that were supportive of me said its ok to stop. I just finally started to believe it myself. But its kinda sad... :-S

Comments

• Definitely sad. It will be sad for a while, but that's ok. I stopped around 5.5 months for similar reasons tho she wasn't losing, but she wasn't gaining either. It sucks. Focus on the positive...you've gone a really long time, and you did your best. You're a great mommy, don't let dark thoughts convince you otherwise. Xoxo
  • @natashalynn Thanks! Did you still pump? If you did, did you try to 'make more' with mothers milk tea or fenugreek??
  • :( Any little bit that he got was the best he could. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you but keep pumping because breast is still a good thing even if you do have to mix it in his formula. :)
  • I tried to pump for a bit, but the amount I was making just made me depressed. I tried finding those teas but with no luck, so I stopped altogether.
  • @natashalynn I dont know if I should keep with the tea and pills if Its just drying up. Like you said its kinda depressing to pump and not get as much as you were expecting.
  • @kayleigh27 I know. He is just to active and needed more than I can provide.
  • I dont usually suggest formula but if you want to continue, most low weight babies like preemies use a fortifier (i know yours wasnt preemie like mine) its a high calorie-similac neosure with the yellow lid. you can add a scoop to the bottle twice a day that way your lo gets a few extra cals to gain. Sorry Im not much help if you have done everything you can for your supply and having it checked for calories or imbalances
  • oops that was meant to say add a scoop to the bm in the bottle*
  • @Bahamamama4828 Well I am not wvwn getting enough from pumping. In a 14hr period I was only able to pump 8oz... I dont even 'feel' the milk anymore and its taking longer and longer for my milk to even drop now... I think they are just down for the count. I'll pump as long as I can to add to the formula.
  • Aww I'm sorry! Are you working at all and have to pump? What all have you tried if you don't mind explaining? :)
  • @bahamamama4828 I was going to school and pumped 3x a day. I am now working and pump 1-2x but it was dropping way before that. I do mothers milk tea and fenugreek, nursing days in, breast massage and lots of water and it drops significantly every week.
  • Is your doc allowing a script at all?
  • @Bahamamama4828 Never asked. Its military though so I doubt they will. Maybe if he was younger they might but I dont see them doing it now.
  • edited June 2012
    I understand. Its a tough situation :( I'm sorry
  • @Bahamamama4828 Dont be. Im not sorry. I had 7 1/2 amazing months breastfeeding and I will have how ever many more my body gives me to stock up for him. I dont look at it as a failure or not working out for me because I did it! Not as long as I would have liked but thats ok. My sons ok and is healthy and will be heathier with formula then he will be with my breastmilk. Well in the sense that I dont make enough to support his metabolism and growth. All I can ask for is a healthy, energetic little man and thats what I have. And I am damn proud of how far I went.