#1 ingredient in formula....

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding
CORN SYRUP! Ugh, this bugs me to no end! And the next ingredient is a bunch of oils, then a bunch of inorganic vitamins & minerals.

I can't bf due to breast surgery I had a long time ago. I've spoken to a nutritionist about it that said try juicing. He says fresh fruits have all the nutrients, vitamins, enzymes, etc. required for life. Makes sense theoretically, just sounds a little non conventional.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or experience? Or other ideas?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Do you mean to give the baby juice??
  • Also, the acidity could cause rashes :( I would ask more nutritionist for their opinions also.

Have you tried to bf, despite your surgery, or would try? Sorry, not sure if you are pregnant now or what.
  • @kayleigh27 yes, fresh juice made with a juicer, not pasteurized store bought

@caroline8_p I've tried to bf unsuccessfully 8 times. With my last baby (9th) I didn't even try. The lc told me I'm producing, but it can't get out. But anyways, I'm pg again & I'm tired of all my babies little bodies having to deal with the formula. I know it's not good for them. Just looking for another option if there is any. Lol.
  • Only thing I know about that is a one week old girl who died because the mother only fed her juice... :(
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well i rather feed my kids formula than only juice, it sounds too risky.. even if the ingredients in formula are messed up
  • I give my son organic baby's only formula. No Corn syrup, second ingredient is organic milk, followed by organic sunflower, safflower and coconut oil. Ollie seems to enjoy it.
  • Also no BPA in packaging and no GMOs
  • I do similac advanced and it is not corn syrup. That is only the sensitive ones due to sugar actually being a calmer for stomachs.
  • @bahamamana4828 might be able to shed some light on the juicing thing. I am sure your nutritionist also means for you to mix a lot of greens in with the juicing. My mon swears by juicing by the way..I will run it past her.
  • Donor breast milk? I would love to donate if you lived close! (Nyc).
  • edited June 2012
    There's websites out their with women advertising to donate or sell their breastmilk
    (
    http://milkshare.birthingforlife.com/

http://www.onythebreast.com
  • I know how you feel! Juicing wouldn't have enough fat, though. Definitely look into homemade "formula" using goat's milk, as HomeBirthAdvocate recommended. I know several moms who do this, and it's much closer to our milk than cow's milk. onlythebreast.com is a classified service where moms sell milk. On Facebook, you can check out HumanMilk4HumanBabies or EatsonFeets to find your local page for mom to mom milk sharing. I donate milk through a milk bank, for which I was tested and certified, so when I share with a local mom, we both know the milk is safe.
  • @ashley_smashley yeah, talking about greens, veggies, fruits & all that. I just started doing it with my 8 month old & it's great - but he's older of course. I'll also check into those organic formulas, thanks!

@homebirthadvocate I will def check out those recipes, I'm glad I asked cause I didn't even think of that. Thanks

@captivated - I've heard that too, so sad. I wasn't talking only fruit though. I also heard of a breast feeding fruitarian (woman eats only fruit) who's baby died cause her breast milk was inadequate. :(

I'm a little scared of using someone else's breast milk though. Someone elses bodily fluid kind of grosses me out lol.... idk just me lol. Plus bm changes based on their baby's needs.

Thanks for all the input!
  • Oh wow!! I hadn't heard of that one!
  • @ourlittlenugget - I will def check it out, thanks!
  • @mama_kat - it may just be cause I use soy then, cause all the soy ones I've look at so far have it.
  • juicing is great! my kids dont get store bought juice, homemade formula with goats milk is great too, look into weston a price foundation for the recipe.
    Ps. Gerber food/formula and most other formulas and juice (but not most organic) are GMO.
  • What is GMO??
  • @starrxoxo9 genetically modified but unfortunately thats all wic gives
  • @Bahamamama4828 ohh...what exactly is modified? Tessa drinks enfamil, there's no corn syrup in it at least. The ingredients don't seem deadly or anything lol.
  • @starrxoxo9 i dont want to take over this thread LOL but the vegetable oil is a GMO in it..most vegetable oils are owned by Monsanto. A GMO is not a good thing, its been genetically modified, like its DNA has been changed. Ill inbox you some more info lol
  • Ooohh @bahamamama4828, I didn't realize so many didn't know about GMO. Looks like I've got a new thread idea!
  • If you have netflix you can watch food, inc., forks over knives, and fat, sick & nearly dead. Those 3 movies will explain a lot. @starxoxo9
    The food industry & government issues in these documentaries make me so angry, but I really don't know what I can do about it, except for my own family. @captivated , I'd love to hear your ideas! Lol
  • I know you said you did not want to use bm from another woman have you thought about a milk bank. The milk is pasteurized so there is and the women are screened for aids, hepatitis, and a bunch of other stuff. The one I have donated does the blood work ever six months and they are very nice. If you qualify you may be able to get help paying for the milk since you con not bf your baby. I have given to women on fb also, but I would never take from anyone myself so I really can not blame you for that. While I could never afford a milk bank I would use them if I had to.