Metformin mamas! Ive got a few questions!!!

edited June 2012 in Getting pregnant
Did any of you have side affects and at what dosage?? And how long till you got preggo with a successful pregnancy??

Comments

• bump for you hun I got preg on clomid
  • @musicgalwantsababy I'm doin clomid and Metformin this cycle. I've done clomid before but I can't manage to keep the baby on just clomid. @sofiasmom11 side effects??
  • *sigh* lovely. Lol thanks @sophiasmom11 I'm excited and not at the same time lol
  • What dosage did they start you at? If at 500mg, then I would taper up. They should anyways! Starting at 250mg and working up, as 500mg most always causes loose stools.
  • @mijita yeah start at 500, they said in a week or so start 1000. And work.up to 2000 if i can handle it. So far I haven't had an issue with the 500 Cept some nausea today... So a few more days and ill try to go to 2 pills.
  • I take metformin for diabetes, but I got preggo almost exactly a year after I started it. We weren't trying to get preg though....that was a happy side effect lol. The only real side effect I had was an upset stomach for the first few weeks til my body for used to it. I really hope the combination works for you.
  • @stillsurprised I hope I can get adjusted to it and these side effects go away lol.
  • I took 500Mg twice aday & clomid 50Mg & got preggo my 4th cycle. Good luck :)
  • They will. I just actually just started it again, now that I have prescription coverage again,.so after not being on it for over a year, I am in the same boat as you...once again. I am actually to be on it again, because hopefully it will regulate my period again,.so when hubby gets outta jail in aug, we can work on baby #2. Just be patient and the crappy effects will go away :)
  • @bexiewexie do.you think the Metformin helped with the weight loss? Doc says I can stand to lose 10lbs lol.
  • It helped me lose weight too. I lost 30lbs on it after a year.
  • I only did 500 mg twice a day. The only side effect was diarrhea. I did loose weight while i was taking them.
  • Usually PCOS is accompanied by insulin resistance. Metformin helps with the uptake of glucose for energy expenditure, thus may experience weight loss. Your body becomes more efficient as regulating insulin and it no longer has an excess of glucose in the blood that gets converted to fat and stored. This is why individuals with PCOS usually carry excess weight, gain weight easily, or have a difficult time losing.
  • "In a study of women who took Metformin while pregnant only 8.8% of them suffered miscarriages while the non-Metformin group suffered miscarriages at a rate of 41.9%. In the same study, 11.1% of the Metformin group who suffered miscarriages had miscarried before while 58.3% of the non-Metformin group who suffered miscarriages had miscarried before."

Gives me hope that I'll hang on to the next pregnancy :)