Moms that have older, walking children.

edited June 2012 in Walking
My daughter is almost four and she almost ALWAYS walks on her tippy-toes. She's been doing this since she began walking. Does anyone know why she may do this?

Comments

• David used to do that but stopped at about 3yrs old. I dont really see much wrong with it as long as she walks well. She'll have great calf muscles lol. Sorry im not much help
  • I have no clue, my daughter has always walked the old fashioned way. but i bet she will grow out of it, hmm she sure has strong toes.
  • My 2 year old does this, I have no clue why, one day she'll walk completely fine the next day is tippee toes lol
  • Have you noticed that she has auditory issues? It could be a middle ear issue. I forget the name of the syndrome. Lemme see if I can find it.
  • My son is 6 years old he'll be 7 in July and he still walks in his tippy-toes but my son has characteristic of highly functioning autism..but my hubby and my brother walk tippy-toes and there are fine :)
  • See if any on this checklist apply to her.

http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/sensory-processing-disorder-checklist.html

Aspergers is also common in tiptoe walkers. However, I think you would have suspected this with her interaction in social relationships.
  • My cousin did that and the doc was very concerned that she didn't grow out of it by four years. She only walked on her tip toes so they put braces on her feet, they wanted to have it done by the time she started school. I would talk to the doc about before she is older but it is an easy fix.
  • Yup my son did this too. It was sensory
  • She doesnt have any of those signs @mijita! Thank god! @everyone else, thanks! I will ask her doc about it.
  • I had a friend in school that walked like that. She has never had any problems as far as I know! She was actually the "most popular" girl in school! Lol
  • My bf walked on his tippy toes when he was little and he was diagnosed with muscular dystrophy at the age of six.
  • It could do with a misalignment of the spine. Try taking her to a pediatric chiropractor, at least just for an exam.
  • I dont know maybe its just a habit? My baby is almost always on his riots toes but only when he tries to reach things that are way over him. Maybe with time she will grow out of it. Although I had a friend who walked like that in high school she is now married and still walks like that nothing serious. She lives a normal life.
  • Get her a pair of Squeakers...if its out of habit the shoes may help because in order to hear them squeak she has to walk heel first. It kind of rewards kids for walking correctly
  • She doesn't do it in shoes @michellebelle. Just sometimes when she is barefoot
  • My two year old does this only barefoot or in socks. I joke I call him miss Nance bc he looks like he is pretending to walk in heels. He doesn't do it as much now as he did when he started walking. I can tell you I remember my brother did it too, he is now 23 and perfectly fine no issues and he did it alot. He walks normal and never had any other problems. Its prob a phase.
  • It's a dainty little girl thing I've seen many of them do. My husband also does it to avoid cold floor and dusty feet. He's a Pansy....LOL