Is being on birth control while breastfeeding safe?

edited June 2012 in Third Trimester
I was thinking about using birth control after my daughter is born, but I also wanna breastfeed.

Comments

• I think a low dose bc is ok. Just talk to your Dr about your options
  • Most bc is not safe and it will lower your supply. Some women take the mini pill but end up pregnant or don't keep enough of a supply to continue nursing
  • You could try an iud
  • @sands3 good idea.
    @doodles Oh really?
  • @sands3 imma little affraid of iud's, dont really know why. things that get put inside I get affraid it'll slip or infect me. :(
  • I had one after my first. You can't feel it. I personally had a bad experience with it but I know several ladies who have not had any issues. Your Dr can help you make the best decision for your needs
  • You have options. The depo shot is safe also, I didn't see anyone mention that.
  • edited June 2012
    Condoms here... hubby didnt want me on anything while I was breastfeeding. He didnt feel comfy with any of them in reference to our son getting it through bf'ing. And though I stopped we still just use condoms till my body regulates itself a bit.
  • I have the implanon which iz safe durinvg breast feeding
  • Yes depo is also safe. I took it but it made me bled like crazy but my doctor said im the 1% lol and if it did make me bled so would iuds
  • @Kindell 1% ??? LOL that number is tooooo low! I bled with it too many many years ago for 3 months!!
  • I had the Depo for 2yrs and only bled when my shot was wearing off or if I was to stressed out. Which wasnt that much even when I bled it was only a little.

@Bahamamama4828
    @kindell
  • @bahamamama4828 i bled for a year as soon as it wore off i stopped bleeding. I think its normal to bleed the first 3-6 months i think thats what my dr meant by 1%
  • Minnie pill I take still bf going on 7 1/2 months only got one boob fills with milk though and my periods r acting up off one Wrk on one week I dnt think that's normal idk wats causing my periods like this but I hate it
  • @roxy Your not sapposed to be bleeding on the birthcontrol, from what docs told me..
  • @roxy my periods are the same way. Mine is every two weeks. How long do yours last? Are they heavy or light?
    @kristaf22 my doc didn't tell me that or the pharmacy.
    Aishamusa my lo is 7 months old and I'm still bf. I didn't notice a supply issue until I went back to work and couldn't feed on demand. When I pump the most I get is 5oz from both....I have enough freezer stock that I don't have to supplement with formula. I'm on the mini pill also. The research I have done says periods will start to be lighter the longer you take it.
  • I'm on mirena and ebf. Your dr will choose what's right for you.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • 4 or 5 days regular flow