gaining weight too fast :(

edited June 2012 in Third Trimester
I had my 28 week check up today, and my midwife yelled at me for gaining too much weight too fast. I don't even look/feel like I've gained a lot of weight. But apparently in 28 weeks I've gained 32lbs :(( She told me that I can't have any more carbs, and if I gain anymore weight she'll have to send me to the Hospital to deliver. She was also concerned that my fundal height was too much for being 28 weeks...I was measured 4 times, and each time it was 33 weeks instead of 28. :/

I need to start walking more, and eating more healthy than I already am. I'm just going to miss eating pasta :(

Comments

• I gained 24 pounds at my 24 week check up. :( I am 26 weeks now and I feel huge. I told my dr I was worried about my weight but she said I was fine. How do you know how much is too much? Its not bad to cut carbs during pregnancy? I feel your pain :(
  • Send you to the hospital to deliver because of weight gain?! Why?
  • @captivated she told me if I gain 50lbs during pregnancy they send ppl to the Hospital to deliver..which is dumb.

@rjr33 I don't know, but she said no carbs, only protein, fruits, and veggies.
  • It's totally safe to cut carbs. And good for you :)
  • edited June 2012
    As a dietitian, I'm going to say that cutting out carbs completely is not healthy! It's the simple carbohydrates you have to watch for (ie. Cereals, sweets, white rice, pasta, white potato, etc). Choose complex carbohydrates that are digested slower, they don't spike glucose levels and increase satiety. Carbohydrates are a macro nutrient that our bodies use as its primary energy source.
  • @mijita I have to follow a restricted intake diet. I only eat whole wheat pastas, breads, cereals so I don't know why I can't have them. The diet that I have to follow, I only get to eat a few things at a time, and I know I'm going to be starving at the end of the day!
  • Do you have gestational diabetes?

You will feel hungry if you are used to high carb and starchy meals, at first. Your body will acclimate once it detoxes from the norm. The trick is to eat nutrient dense foods that'll keep you satisfied longer. They are wanting you to eat six small meals a day, which translates to about every 2 hours. The object is to keep your body working (increase metabolism) so that you utilize the energy you're consuming. When you eat large meals, your body only uses what it needs, any excess is converted to fat and stored for later use. However, we tend to then consume another calorie dense meal and the cycle is repeated; thus weight gain!

Almost everything we eat had carbs! Choose them wisely, focus on complex carbohydrates. I have attached two links that I think will give you the necessary information to understand what a complex carb is.

A far as your frequent and small meals make sure you always include a source of protein. Protein helps keep you satisfied longer.

Does this make sense? Let me know if you need any clarification.

You never want to calorie restrict while pregnant, this is why they are wanting you to do small frequent meals. Each meal should amount to approximately 200 - 300 calories. Also, don't ever wait until you are ravenous, because you'll most always overeat.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/27398-list-complex-carbohydrates-foods/

http://commonsensehealth.com/Diet-and-Nutrition/List_of_Carbohydrate_Foods_with_Good_Carbs_Grams.shtml
  • @mijita What about combining protein & carbs though? I always heard that's bad bc you require different type of digestive juices to digest a carb vs. protein. So if you eat them together it causes digestive issues. I always seem to feel better though when I eat lots of protein like you said.
  • What? I gained 50lbs in my pregnancy. I didn't get sent to deliver! That doesn't make sense.
  • @mijita not as far as I know. I took the glucose test today, but will know tomorrow what my levels were. The papers they gave me, is 6 small meals, so I'm going to work on eating that until my next apt on the 26th. I also have to drink protein shakes.

@mimii36 I think it's just the guidelines of the birth center, after you gain a certain amount of weight they won't care for you there. I gained 45lbs with my last and my midwife didn't say anything to me.
  • That still doesn't make sense that a birthing center won't care for you just because of how much you weigh. That's crazy
  • @mimii36 I know, they didn't even mention it to me until today, they've been weighing me wrong the whole time, and they finally got a new scale. So I could of gained less than they think since the past 2 times I've went I weighed the same.
  • @mijita this is the diet they gave me to follow. Does it seem decent to you?

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/DragDolly3121/IMAG0370.jpg
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate really? That makes me worry. I won't know until tomorrow what my results from my glucose test are. I'm really hoping I don't have GD and that's the reason for the weight gain!
  • I dont think you should restrict yourself at all. Im no expert but I think you should eat whatever you want. Its one if the best things about pregnancy... Eating everything baby is craving :) JMO though
  • @Wilsomom, for the very majority of the population eating carbs and proteins together is not a problem. Many proteins have carbs in them. I think there may be a select few who have a digestive disorder that would be affected by eating the two together.

The digestion of carbs starts in the mouth and protein in the stomach. Carbs are broken down easier than protein and both have different roles they play in the body. I guess what I'm telling you is that different enzymes help break down macronutrients in different areas and stages in the body, it's how we were wired to work so shouldn't cause digestive issues.

Whew, that was long winded. LOL!
  • edited June 2012
    They aren't restricting per se, they are modifying your current diet to contain less fat and calorie content. If you follow their guidelines, you should still be consuming anywhere from 1200 to 1800 calories/day. Realistically, probably a little more.

Now about the diet. PLEASE don't think you have to have that every single day! That is just an example of what they would like it to look like. A protein with fiber source for breakfast. Have eggs w/veggies one morning and then oatmeal with nuts the next. For snack change it up by looking on the second link I gave you with complex carbohydrate fruits or veggies. I would personally add a protein source, boiled egg whites, peanut butter, nuts, tuna, tofu etc. Mix it up, just avoid the simple carbohydrates.

One final tip. After you are done eating a serving size, give yourself about 20 minutes so that your mind will register fullness. We tend to keep eating until we are overly stuffed!

Don't forget your fluids! Avoid juices and sodas, they contain empty calories!
  • Oh, and I think what they are worried about is the size of the baby. Mothers with GD tend to have larger babies if they are lackadaisical about behavior modification. I think they are trying to nip it in the bud, so-to-speak.
  • My weight has been all over the place my whole pregnancy and I don't have gestational diabetes, the doctors were shocked to when they found out I didn't have GD.. mainly cause there's alot of health problems runing in my family backround....
  • Av never been weighed again after my booking appointment at about 6-8 weeks. Are you supposed to get weighed. Al be 31 weeks on Monday. X
  • My midwife has never weighed me again. And at start my bmi was 31 x @HomeBirthAdvocate x
  • @mijita ok so I don't have GD, I called in for my test results. She still said to stock with the diet until the 26th to see how it works out for me.
  • during my pregnancy i had to get the rogham shot, at 21 weeks?
    and from 21 weeks on id gain 10 pounds in 2 weeks. and i kept telling my OB that im unusually swollen and this is not okay. but she kept telling me it was because i was eating too much and kept yelling at me everytime i gained too much. and every time i told her about my swollen X5 size feet. but kept ignoring it, plus she was always on vaca when i had my appointments.

sooo by 39 weeks i had my app. the week before my due date, i was sent to the ER and was admitted because i developed preeclampsia & hypertenstion. they couldnt find a pulse in my feet and they had to use those massaseres for my lets to keep from getting blood clots, cuz i wouldnt walk around.

so after 26 hrs with no dialation i had a c section.

my whole pregnancy i gained 100 pounds!!!!!! but im guessing half of it was water & swelling because when i left the hospital i was 40 pounds lighter!!!!!!!

Photobucket
    ignore my toe nails, i couldnt reach ): but this was my feet less than a month before i had my baby, they were bigger in the hospital, but i dont have the pic on my computer.
  • Oh I'm glad! Remember don't look at it as a dirty restriction, but rather a modification. Strive for small meals every two hours using their guide as a template. If you follow it, you'll find that you are pretty satisfied and actually have more energy. You'll may also find relief in symptoms of nausea and heartburn because of the smaller and frequent meals. :D
  • @devins_mommy, I'm really surprised they didn't detect it sooner, especially with the urine samples during visits. Also any serious weight gain within a short period (ie. 1 week) that raises a red flag is cause for further investigation. Were your blood pressures elevated at your visits? It almost sounds like your physician was neglectful. Wow!
  • everything was normal untill that visit, my blood pressure was sky high and i had protine in my urin. plus i developed bells palsy!!! bad labor experience lol.
  • Oh wow! How long did the bells palsy last?