do new skills affect baby's sleep??

edited June 2012 in Sleep
Tessa has been sleeping 10-12 hrs a night in her crib since about 5 months. Now at 10 months I'm lucky if it happens 2-3 times a week. She's either restless at bedtime, or restless throughout the night. Last night she woke up at 11pm and cried and thrashed (in my arms, in her crib, on the couch, everywhere!) until 2am! She was fed, changed twice, and given a dose of ibuprofen. I know she's teething, but she's been teething for a while and this just seems different. She has been pulling herself up and cruising for about a week now, could this be why she's so restless at night? Because her little brain and body are working so hard? Has anyone else gone though this?

(Oh and naps are the same way. It just took 45 mins of tossing and turning before she really went out)

Comments

• My lo sleeps more now that she's doing new things. She slept 13 hours the other day and I still had to go wake her up!
  • @mimii36 well that's not fair!! Lol
  • McKinley usually doesn't sleep well when she's learning something new. I think its cause she wants to be up practicing!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lol. Me and daddy are late sleepers so I'm sure that's where she got it from.
  • Absolutely! They work out new skills in their sleep and get restless as the brain prepares for new stuff. You're still lucky. Mine is 7 months and slept 10 hours once!! Twice a week would be a dream ... sigh....
  • Thanks everyone!! :)
  • Ughh my daughter is 9 months and is not sleeping well anymore.. im soo tired and im 31 weeks pregnant.. she just started crawling and standing up. Could that b why and she cries all day! Super fussy! Im going crazy
  • Maybe why I'm having problems with Riley then! Since 5 and half months (he is now 7 and half months) he has got 4 teeth, started sitting unsupported, been army crawling and started getting up into the crawling position and rocking. He was such a good sleeper before!
  • My lo has done that on and off when she learns new things... She wakes up and wants to practice her new skills. It usually only lasts a few weeks till she is back to normal
  • My boys never did that. I hope they all get back to sleeping.