Coconut oil & bf ?

edited June 2012 in Breastfeeding
Is it good at preventing sore nipples? I'm gonna try breast feeding again. I've never been able to for more than a week due to severe pain. I had a reduction years ago & some of my milk glands work, but the milk can't get out. So I get really engorged, sore nipples & the baby can't latch. I'm wondering how long it will take the faulty glands to stop producing so the good ones can do their job without interferance. Or am I just setting myself up for disappointment again? I've never used a hospital grade pump, only like a pump in style type.

@HomeBirthAdvocate (idk if there's anyone else to tag about this)

Comments

• Also @bahamamama4828

Good luck momma!
  • Good thing is you don't need all your glands. Coconut oil is awesome on nipples and should help with some pain but will baby latch? Or are you pumping only? Lube the flanges with it beforehand.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @bahamamama4828 I'm only 3 months pg, but trying to research. I usually can bf only for the first 2 or 3 days, then the baby can't latch due to swelling and pumping doesn't relieve much swelling & I can't get much to pump out. (like half an ounce on one side & 1 ounce on the other) But like I said, I never tried a hospital pump.
  • @homebirthadvocate - ty, I will try. At least the few days of colostrum is better than nothing.
  • I have the same issue at first so I have to hand express a little to relieve engorgement because pump doesn't work some times. It sounds like you might be able to successfully with supplementing.