Vbac after 2 c-sections?

edited July 2012 in Giving birth
I am not currently pregnant nor do I plan to be in the foreseeable future but I am curious if the time should ever come, would a vbac even be an option?
Here's a brief back story: I was induced at 41+1 with my son. Being young and ill informed I went into the birth completely unprepared for how I wanted it go. After 12ish hours with no progress and the presence of meconium, the doc opted for a section. I was terrified. I am fairly convinced I had a panic attack on the operating table although it was never proven. My son appeared vigorous and healthy after the birth but after several hours he had to be taken to nicu and was later found to have Gbs. I too became very sick and recovery time was long and extremely difficult. Bonding with my baby was very hard. We were separated for 15 days. Sure I got visit but not nearly as much as I would've liked. To this day I believe my relationship with my son suffered because of the birth experience and his illness afterward. Because of my fear of a repeat bad birth experience and another child suffering from a preventable illness when I became pregnant with my daughter I was convinced a scheduled csection would be the best option. This time around everything, besides the spinal, (that was beyond awful) went just fine. My recovery this time went way better than i had anticipated. Bonding happened quickly. Once my daughter was placed in my arms i didn't want to put her down (I babywear so I still dont really put her down much at all). Until recently I had been extremely happy with how it all went and should another child be conceived I felt i would be absolutely happy to have another scheduled csection. But after continuously reading about wonderful natural births, I can't help but think that I've missed out on something amazing. Would it even be possible for me?

Comments

• It all depends on the doctors. You have to find a doctor that will do vbacs and try will assess you and they will go from there to see weather or not your a candidate. I had a vbac with my son recently in march. It all lays in the doctors hands though. If he feels comfortable doing it or not but you can refuse a csection as well it is your right!!! Don't know if I was much help or not but you have a right to refuse. If nothing else you could also look into mid wife's as well.
  • @mommyofsoontobe7 thank you for you input. I was thinking maybe a midwife as well. I guess I was feeling a little sad about never having had that experience. I'm hopeful that when/if the time comes I'll have other options.
  • I hope you find someone who will support you with that in the future! It might be hard so hopefully a midwife will! :)
  • I had a terrible experience with my csection. I was so scared to get pregnant after my first son. There are A LOT of doctors here in Ohio that don't do vbac any more bc of liability issues. When I found out I was pregnant again I was freaking out. Luckily my fiancé is an emt do my first thought was well if nothing else I'll have him deliver lol but I ended up finding a group that did vbac and they were awesome. Well I found out the hospital right around the corner from me did them as well so I was even more excited!!! I'll say I was scared to death but my csection was horrible. I had my son 5 weeks early and had I known back then that I had a say so I wouldnt have had one I would of refused!!! My doctor with this past delivery let my fiancé deliver our son minus the assist when his shoulder got stuck but it went amazing. I did an all natural birth!!! Having 3 normal deliveries to an emergancy csection was hell. My recovery time was horrible the experience was traumatic and if I could change it I would!!! I'd seriously suggest a mid wife or check around the hospitals in your area. I wish you luck!!! I'll say it is a wonderful thing to do natural and I don't blame you wanting to try!!! There are risks to vbac but honesty I was told by about 20 docs repete csections are actually worse then vbac risks!!! If you have fb look up the group brio birth and birth without fear it has a black and white pic of it looks like a mother and daughter as a picture. They are great groups and you can learn a lot from those groups!!!
  • I have no real advice, but my friend just had a successful vbac. She had emergency c section with her son because his lungs had problems. They too were seperated for a few weeks. This pregnancy she went overdue by a week and a half, got induced with pitocin, had no pain drugs, and still delivered vaginilly!!!!:) she also has been successful with breastfeeding after not being ablLast time. Good luck!!!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Why is being induced with a vbac a no no? Risks? I know she really really wanted natural. She still got her pain med free vbac though. Maybe she fought to still deliver vaginally. I know she was devastated when they had to schedule her induction.
  • I think when its more than one c section trying for vbac is going to be much harder. To find a doctor and all its hard enough for one c section for a doctor to perform a vbac they are almost always against it. They don't want to take the risks that something may go wrong but something may go wrong during c section as well. I hope you find the. Support you are looking for when you start tyhinking about another baby
  • @captivated has a post about this.
  • Thanks ladies! I'm very happy to know it might be possible. I appreciate your support! @caroline8_p sorry. I didn't see it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I wasn't allowed to have nothing at all until I delivered him then they pushed it quick to deliver the after birth.