Help how can I stop this?

edited July 2012 in Breastfeeding
Having to go back to work soon, thought I'd try to get lo to take milk from a cup now so don't have to rush him. Got some of my milk out of the freezer & omg it smelt & tasted so metallic he wouldn't touch it. Anyone got any ideas what on earth is causing it? Is all my freezer supply gonna be the same? What the heck do I do now?
@HomeBirthAdvocate
@captivated

Comments

• Bump. Sorry I cant help x
  • How long was it in there for? Your milk is probably absorbing the other food smells. I had that Texas toast in my freezer and that ruined all of my milk. Tasted like garlic! Try putting your milk bags inside of closed, zipped lunch bags!
  • I had to put it in bags inside a bag to get it to stop tasting and smelling funny.
  • If it smells funny like that it might have too much lipase. Try scalding it real quick, not too long and see if that helps first.
  • @Bahamamama4828 I thought if you scald it will destroy all the nutrients
  • I just through out at least a 1000 ounces of bm cause of that. I thought u had to scald b4 freezing. But the crap mad me gag so no way lo was getting it.
  • Thanks @captivated & @Bahamamama4828 I'll try both your suggestions

@char oh no!!!! I've only got about 50oz stored & be gutted if it's all ruined, can't imagine how mad you were over 1000
  • I was not happy at all. But that was mainly just in case we didn't make it to six months-- we are at nine months so I can deal with it. It is more irritating that I bought a deep freezer for the milk.
    Also I only had the problem if I used storage containers instead of bags.
  • It doesn't destroy all of them but yes some so I wouldnt make a habit of it.
  • I meant scald before freezing too lol
  • Thanks again, still plan on bf ing as much as possible but want to get a small supply built up before going back to work & then pump when I am working. Not wanting to go back to work as it is & I'd be so upset if had to supplement after lasting this long. What causes too much lipase @Bahamamama4828 ? & what is lipase? Anything I can do to stop it?