Vitamin Supplement Questions @homebirthadvocate @bahamamama4828

edited August 2012 in Health
deleted

Comments

• And don't tell me to eat more veggies...I despise them and I won't eat them. EVER. Just having them in my mouth literally makes me throw up.
  • Thanks @blessedtxmom! The vitamin I have has extra in it :)

• Oh! @mijita is a good one too!
  • B vitamins help with energy, I don't know much else though, sorry.
  • Yeah, I looked that up and B12 is extremely helpful for energy. My multivitamin has that as well! Lol @wilsomom. I'm looking more for stuff like extracts, etc.
  • Veggies are yummy. Plus if your children see you not eating them then they wont want to eat them.
  • Luckily my kids love veggies :) @kindell.

And we have veggies with every dinner. I put them on my plate and pretend to eat them. LOL. My daughter asks for seconds on her veggies!
  • Well thats good but YOU should still eat them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited August 2012
  • Oh sweet! Okay. @mom2ing. There are certain veggies I can tolerate. Raw spinach I like and make it like a salad. I like raw carrots, but only in ranch. Corn, but that doesn't count, lol. That's about it.
  • Also probiotics r good all around.
  • I've heard that @mommyof3girls. What exactly do they do?
  • 3 g of omega-3 per day works wonders for depression. That's a great start. Your hair is most likely falling out due to protein deficiency. Buy yourself some Ensure and have it after every meal. I say this because you are probably eating like a mouse and not getting adequate nutrition at meal time. Ensure will supplement those needs until you get back on tract. Its a good source of both macro and micronutrients. It will also help with strength, as you will need it for your pending recovery. Are they watching for metastasis of your uterine cancer as your symptomatology is concerning me. :( Sorry, I don't mean to bring up concern but your weight loss is extremely drastic.

Oh, and you need not comment on it, it's none of my business, I was more pressing you to seek care if possible.

I hope you feel better -- SOON!

• Oh yeah, daily multivitamin a must, but still attempt to get them from nutritional sources.

Brittle nails is also from lack of protein. Try incorporating more protein in your diet like yogurt (greek packs a punch), cheese, egg whites, peanut butter, edamame, milk, lean meats, etc.
  • edited August 2012
  • Do a little research on flavanoids. They have antioxidants that are shown to be beneficial to human health, especially anti-tumor benefits. They are like little cancer killers and promote platelets and healthy cell production. I know you said you hate your veggies, but considering flavanoid potential, this might encourage you to up the ante.
  • Oh yeah, veggie & fruit smoothies! Google green smoothies. They have spinach in them usually. Juicing is even better if you have a juicer. You can get like a day's worth of nutrients in one juice like that. Watch Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead on netflix or online maybe. It's so good!
    @mijita , I have brittle nails & hair loss too. :/ How do I get more protein veganally (lol - is that a word?! I only eat vegan)
  • @Wilsomom, It is very easy! The problem is people in general don't focus on the healthy fat, carb, protein ranges. A healthy range of protein is 10-35% of total calorie need. Anyhow, I'm getting ahead of myself, lol. I found this website that explains how to calculate your protein requirement, versus me trying to, plus it has a list of high protein vegan foods. There is protein in most foods, you'd be surprised.

Check out mypyramid.gov, I love this website as it tracks macro and micro nutrients in the foods you eat. Be aware tho that the caloric need it estimates for you is at your current weight and that is to maintain your current weight, so if you are trying to lose weight you need to tailor it.
  • edited August 2012
    I stuttered, lol. D'oh :o
  • Thanks! You're amazing @mijita!
  • ^^^^thank god for these ladies! :)
  • @mijita Yes! I remember I used to use that web site & I forgot about it. Yay! I'm so excited, I used to track my workouts & everything. I'm on it! Thanks! :D
  • Try making it taste good. Or just drink your veggies. I love the green smootie and blue one i cant remember the brand tho. Its in the produce section of grocery stores. V8 does a fruit/veggie juice too.
  • Try roasting carrots in the oven for 20 mins then add a few teaspoons of honey. Plus locally made honey is great for you too. I make green beans with bacon and tomatoes. Same way with brussel sprouts. Not super healthy but makes the veggies taste better. I only use 3 strips of bacon lol. Also have good recipes for peas and for califlower. Any you think you can stomach? Ill post the recipes.
  • You can also add a little brown sugar and/or cinnamon to your veggies if that helps.
  • edited August 2012
    @Wisomom, I'm dense! I forgot to attach the link for calculating protein requirement and vegan foods high in protein, lol. I'll blame it on lack of sleep!

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • Naked has really yummy veggie/juice drinks! They are healthy.for you too :)
  • edited August 2012
    Idk ur income level but in Ohio u can apply for medical assistance directly from a hospital. It is based on income so it can be free or a percentage. Have you tried going that route for health care?