Food Stamps... ** 2nd Update at Top

edited August 2012 in Food
We got emergency food stamps in June, then we had to wait 2 months to see if we actually get them. In 20+ minutes, I can call my card and find out. Its reallly been tough! We eat/ate a lot of hamburger meat and rice, which is actually delicious .. but it mentally gets old. I'm anxious to know! We don't have a food budget, because after necessary bills, there is zero money left. His mom helps us with around $100 in the middle of the month. If there is a zero balance (even on Monday) I'll be pissed. I'll have to spend a day, yes like 5 hours at the fs office just to get answers.

**Update

I went today, got there at 1pm.. seriously waited FIVE hours (FIVE!) for them to tell me they are "back logged".. seriously! And I wasn't the only one there wondering why I didn't have food stamps. She said I just have to keep waiting even though I've waited the "45" days.. Ugh. I was soooo pissed when I left. Was walking facing the sun with Malia in her stroller, this lady tried to tell me something about the sun in her face. I went off on her, told her I know how to parent my child... I know the sun was in her face, but I couldn't just stop on a busy sidewalk, waited till after a few steps further where there was more room.

So, we just have to figure out how to eat every night, or it'll just be rice. If I didn't have WIC, we'd be screwed.

** 2nd Update
I called this morning and WE HAVE THEM! Thank God! Too bad we went shopping last night with his moms, I'll just help her if she needs. I am so thankful for her and the govt!

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Fingers crossed. I'm sure you will get it. Especially since you qualified for emergency assistance. I am in the same boat, only I didn't qualify for emergency SNAP. I'll find out next week or so if we got approved. I need it so badly.
  • Nothing yet :/ thank you for the luck, we most definitely need it! @captivated @mama_kat
  • Hope you get it! I hated going down there in person! No matter what state you live in DES offices are so unorganized and overloaded with people in need.
  • Thank you @mrs4c there are lots of people in real need.. and then there are those ones that could obviously spend some of there money better..

I'm just gunna psych myself out if I keep calling. I'll call once more before bed, then again in the morning.
  • In my state they say they don't give out 'emergency foodstamps' and when I tryed to apply (I had to move back with my parents) that I couldn't get them because 'my parents are responsible for me till I'm 22)!!!!! Uhm nooo!!! I pay my own bills, even tho I live at home!!!
  • Same for my sister too @Devon's_mommy she still lives at home, they wouldn't give them to her till she turned 22, which she did in may. Now she just gets a little bit cause she SUPPOSEDLY makes to much working at sonic on minimum wage. The system has its flaws.. can't wait for the drug screening to be nation wide.
  • Ya its crazy!!!!
  • I'm not sure what state you live in but you can actually see on the DCF website if you qualified, your amount, and when the money will be available each month. You just have to make an account.
  • I believe they have their own version .. accessNY I believe.
  • Thank you! As I went to go sign I'm, Malia woke to nurse -.- lol @ericak22
  • Lol that's always how it works! I think you'll need your case # as well. I'm not sure how it work in NY. And you're welcome!
  • We could really use food stamps but I'm not sure if we qualify because even though we are not married we live together and neither one of us have a job right now :(
  • @jules you dont have to be married. if you live with other people you claim you buy/make food separately from them and the no job thing will mean you should get the max. At least in my state its like this.
  • @jules ^^ yep. Me and my bf aren't married, but we have children together, and get them even though we live with his family. Times are definitely hard right now, and every little bit helps!

Try applying for them online, you might get them expedited since you have a baby, and neither of you have jobs at the moment.
  • @jules you should apply!!! It takes a lot of documents and time, but I'd at least see if you qualify. In my state we have a website calls azselfhelp or something like that . It has a qustionieer you fill out and at the end it tells you all the govt. programs you likely qualify for. Amongst the programs listed is food stamps and they even tell you just how much you should receive if you apply.
  • @jules ^^thats how it is here. You should go apply. You wont know til you do. Lol. @caroline8_p I get mine today also. Lol.
  • Mine don't go in until 8am on the day its to be loaded. :-)
  • Not sure what state your in @caroline8_p but EBT cards are not loaded until around 7am... Try again in the morning.
  • Ours are loaded at midnight
  • Its 9:20am now. Definitely not getting them today : / .. I seriously hope I get them tomorrow. @ynvtish @captivated +(when I was in TX, it was midnight also) @babycomingsoon143 @angel26 @Jules definitely apply! Bf and I aren't married either but have a child in common.
  • Im sorry yours arent on there. You should call them monday and see what the hold up is. Cuz we got ours today.
  • @jules you deffinatly dont need to be married. when I first got on food stamps me and hubby werent married.
  • i finally got approved. I was on maternity leave in Mar...I applied and sumbitted all of my stuff by end of Apr and just got approved last week. Its been tough. Glad you got them. I get mine starting Aug 8th bc I went back to work after maternity leave for 2 wks and got laid off... and got a severance and in July made too much bc the severance i got. I am so glad i got them.. i am actually sharing with my parents bc they are tight with money and even tho on SSI (retired) can't qualify for anything:( Its kinda ridiculous...so I offered to buy them so food once i get mine.
    Hopefully yours will be there when you said bc its tough, especially knowing you can't feed the kids.
  • @mama_kat the paper said I'd get it on the 5th of every month starting in July. July came and went. The paper said I was to turn in something, it said "SI" so I physically went up there and they Guy, who seemed knowledgeable, told me that was just a computer thing, blah blah. Said if I don't get it by August 6, to come back. It also said I wouldn't get it after June if I didn't "turn it in" .. I have a feeling this wont go well tomorrow. Gunna take tissues cause I know I'm gunna cry from being so pissed.