Processed Food Replacements

edited August 2012 in Food
What's a good (healthy) replacement for butter? (Or butter/oil blend which is what I use) Also, what's the healthiest salad dressing? And is pasta & bread ok as long as it's not too much? How much is too much if trying to lose weight? @mijita

And any other replacement ideas you all have for cutting calories and losing weight. Thanks!

Comments

• I've been seeing a nutritious to get ready for my surgery. I have to drop weight first. She had me cut out Sugar, pasta, breads, rice and anything from a box or can... Packaged is ok if I must! Oh and no red meat. Mainly chicken, turkey and lots of fish.

Averaging a weight loss of 1 pound a day so far and I haven't starter my exercise schedule yet. She gives you 2 weeks first to start with your eating plan first.
  • I don't eat any meat or dairy so that helps...what about butter replacement for putting on cooked veggies or toast? I don't like margerine though because of the hydrogenated oils. I stopped a lot of sugar when I quit drinking pop, but still use a little in tea or my oatmeal.
  • ^^^^agreed. Coconut oil, grape seed oil, olive oil, sunflower oil. Almond butter is good too. I say stick with whole grains, less packaged stuff. I would say 2lbs a week is great.
  • Oooh, I forgot about coconut oil. I don't understand why it's so healthy though if it has so much saturated fat? @bahamamama4828 I use it for skin though, it's great on diaper rash or for massage oil :)
  • thats the funny thing, our textbooks say its not healthy BUT they have done a lot of studies on it and its health benefits. http://www.westonaprice.org/know-your-fats/latest-studies-on-coconut-oil
    You can track your food with a food tracker http://www.choosemyplate.gov/professionals/food_tracking_wksht.html
    Since you dont eat meat or dairy thats a plus, you can always find those same vitamin/minerals in whole foods.
  • and margarine is gross lol its one molecule away from being plastic!
  • edited August 2012
    We need fat to lose fat. Just avoid transfats, saturated fats and cholesterol fats. Fats are essential and promote health. We are deficient due to our over processed diets.

If you can't give up butter, just use it sparingly and opt for whipped and no salt/low sodium alternatives. Here is a cheat sheet to give you an idea of some alternative options.

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/12_01/chart.html

Try to choose oils that are liquid at room temperature. If they solidify at room temp then they are loaded with saturated fats. Olive oil, flaxseed oil and canola oil are essential oils needed in our diets. Try these on for a change as a salad dressing.

Bread and pasta are fine in moderation. Opt for whole grain versions and watch portion size. Whole grain will fill you faster, digest slower and you'll be satisfied longer. White bread digest quickly, spike insulin levels and you hunger quicker. The same with pasta, try whole grain versions and cook al dente. The more cooked the pasta, the higher the starch concentration and you'll peak insulin levels quicker. It's a vicious cycle.

Since you don't eat meats or dairy incorporate healthy servings of nuts for calcium and iron. They also supply you with healthy fats.
  • ^^^agreed, but most canola oils are GMO
  • Awesome! Thanks for all the good info!
    @mijita @bahamamama4828
  • Have you thought about making your own butter? I buy European butter from the health food store, and it's only ingredient is milk..way better than the other stuff out there.
  • Awesome! Thanks for all the good info!
    @mijita @bahamamama4828

@ericak22 , no I've never heard of that, I do make my own spread though, half butter & half canola oil. I'll have to look for that.
  • I guess I don't technically cut out all dairy since I eat a little butter lol
  • It's actually really easy to make. I remember making it in kindergarten! Lol
  • Another thought, @mijita - is the pasta you can buy that's "extra fiber" or whole grain added or whatever a good transition from white pasta? I'm not in love with whole wheat pasta yet lol. I do love 100% whole wheat bread though, white tastes like dough now! Lol
  • Extra fiber doesn't but mean whole grain. It does take some getting used to. If you use regular pasta just watch portions, frequency and don't over cook it.

I'm strange -- the grainier the better, lol.
  • Check the ingredients! The first ingredient is the highest content in that food. For example if sugar is the first ingredient then the product in question is mostly sugar. The ingredients are listed in order of quantity in said product. Some advertising can be very misleading, so always always check the ingredients.
  • Heres another suggestion, a guy in a fb group I am in uses this and has healed many issues and lost weight. I showed my ND and he approved it as effective.
    http://www.acidalkalinediet.com/Alkaline-Foods-Chart.htm
  • @bahamamamad4828 - that's an awesome website, thanks! I always knew we were supposed to be alkaline, but didn't know much about how to get there...can't wait to read up on it.