Writing a birth plan

edited August 2012 in Labor
I'm going to go ahead and write up a birth plan, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know if that if I get my medicaid back, I won't need it, but I'm doing this for that "just in case" situation, and I end up having to deliver at the hospital.

I didn't make a birth plan with my son last year, and got pretty much taken advantage of by the nurses. They hooked me up to pitocin without me knowing since I already had the IV in my arm, and was trying to get some rest. This time I'm not letting that shit happen, and WILL argue with them to get the way I want things to go. I'd rather not argue since I'm a really easy going person; this is the reason i'm making one as well.

First I don't want ANY IV fluid, unless I need the antibiotics, and I'll ONLY take the antibiotics. I don't remember what it's called when they just put the IV port in? Saline lock? I don't know. @homebirthadvocate i think I've heard you mention it in another thread?

If I get to L&D and I'm having contractions 2-3 mins apart, I don't want to be checked to see how dilated I am. I hated the cervical checks since they were soooo uncomfortable AND the nurses always had these super long fake nails..and it HURT! I guess they don't know that long nails are disgusting to have as a nurse, and carry around bacteria! I could only imagine one of the nails busting through the gloves and stabbing me..how gross. Can I request to not be checked? I don't know how well they'd handle that since they'll more than likely start bitching about how they HAVE to know how dilated I am before they can admit me. blah blah blah :-@

I don't want to stay the 2 full days after delivery because I don't fee like I'll need to. When I had my son last year I felt well enough right after having him to go home, but of course him being my first I stayed the 2 days since I had no clue what I was doing.

Sorry this is so long! I'm just wondering should I go ahead and write up one myself? Or should I use a template, and use one that has the little check mark things on it?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate thank you! I will write one up myself then, and then get a hold of you to look at it. :) I want this to go as natural as possible. No internal checks, IV fluids, no breaking of my waters, don't want to just lay in the bed, and I want to take my placenta home since I want to make supplements out of it!
  • heres a sample, alter as needed. :)
    Photobucket
  • @bahamamama4828 awesome! thank you! I'm defiantly going to be using this, and making changes as I don't want the baby bathed at all!
  • @homebirthadvocate ok I'm done writing my birth plan up, and am ready to send it to you. I'm open to any suggestions as well! :) :)
  • @homebirthadvocate I haven't checked my mail yet today. I'll check it after I get done cleaning and get back to you :)
  • @mama_kat wow really? I'm thinking they told you that so they could just do whatever they wanted, and are used to. :(
  • I'm far away from this point but what is the drops they put in the babies eyes and why do they put then in there?

And why do some people not want their basis washed with soap.. Is it bad for then or just a personal preference?

I'm just wondering ive never even heard of a nothing plan. So glad I have you preglys lol

• @nikki2690 the eye drops are for stds and totally unnecessary, baby needs to see mom after birth. Not washing protects baby's skin, I didn't wash my baby for like 4 days.
  • @nikki2690 they are antibacterial like drops to prevent baby from getting an infection. It's like a really thick kinda gel..it makes me think they can't see or open their eyes because it's on there. I most certainly wouldn't want that one my eyes!

I guess it's a personal preference for me. I only use plant based organic baby wash on my babies. I don't want any chemicals on them from the wash they use at the hospital.
  • Good to know.thank you ladies! @Ericak22 what kind of soap do you use.. I guess I've only seen Johnson and Johnson.
  • I'm in ohio & they've always told me the eye drops are required by law... I wonder if they're just saying that, or if I can get an exemption or something.
  • @nikki2690 I only use California Baby soaps and lotions. They are expensive, but I don't mind since they are chemical free.

@wilsomom I'm sure they'd just make you sign a waiver saying you refuse. I'm thinking I'm going to have to sign tons of waivers this time around lol
  • Wow, I wish I knew that 9 kids ago lol!
  • In Australia baby only gets the vit k and hep needle... no eye drops. I took both my babies home asap so my son got a bath around 2 days old and then not a full bath again for a week and my daughter I didn't bath for about a week just used a damp cloth to wipe her down. She has terribly sensitive skin.