small baby at 20weeks any helpful info?

The doctors didnt say much i found out im having a G..I..R..L!! And she is healthy but they said her growth is in the 10th percentile..any1 have experience with this..i am high risk and go for another ultrasound in 4wks but with all my complications im scared!!..i have tried researching it and theres alot of causes as to why it can happen but the only 1 i can think of that really fits is not eating enough..im working on that.i gota go to bed now but would love some helpful info when i wake up or tomoro atleast! Ty so much ladies :)

Comments

• Congrats on ur little princess mama!!! My best bet would be to make sure you eat more.....trust me, the appetite DOES increase.....and doctors will say the baby is small sometimes, even if its just by an inch or so.....the baby will start packing on the pounds here soon and you will see how big she gets. She's going to get all of the nutrients she needs regardless; she will take nutrients from your body to supplement for the ones she isn't getting. It's important that mommy gets as many nutrients as possible so that baby has healthy vitamins and minerals going into her body. Remember: if mommy isn't healthy, baby isn't healthy, or vice versa. Prenatals/folic acid DOES help, so i implore you to take them for as long as you can. Also, applying for WIC does have its benifits because it will help mommy's diet be healthy and baby to be good and strong. :) And when baby is born, you can continue to get WIC up until they're 5 years old, depending on what state you live in. Good luck mommy!!!! ;)
  • My last 2 babies were very small, but, if all babies were the exact size as one another in every stage of pregnancy, they'd all be the same size at birth. The important thing is that the size isn't as much of an issue as their health&development. Yes, size is important, but please don't feel you are doing something wrong or just because the baby isn't the 'normal' size as others at this stage that it ultimately means something is or will go wrong. Stress isn't good. I was 35wks when I delivered my last baby. She was 4lbs 1oz. The nurses in in NICU insisted I was only 31.5wks due to how small she was. They routinely hooked her up to a respirator which after 10hrs they took her off of, all her tests came back that she was perfectly healthy; just small. So she stayed in NICU for 3wks to gain weight. Later the apologized for arguing, basically making us feel we were idiots, admitting that all babies are different. I hope everything goes smoothly for you&your baby. Congrats on your baby girl! I have 4 children (baking my 5th) all of them are girls (except this one, we don't know the sex yet) I'm 15wks, due on my youngest daughters 2nd birthday. Keep us updated.
  • Thanks ladies!! Im trying not to worry im just trying to eat more and i know with my son a drank a gallon of milk a week sometimes more and he was big plus i gained more weight then i should have. I had wic with my son but couldnt make it to the appts so i quit but i am going to get back on it soon.i know shes taking everything out of me bc i can feel it!! I take my vitamins like its a ritual,lol i have been on them non stop since my 1st pregnancy 4years ago.they have already tried changing my due date bc the baby wasnt showing when they wanted it to (@6wks) but even for them to go by the later due date she isnt measuring up...im not going to worry unless she just stops growing!! Thankyou all so much and congrats to you :)
  • With my daughter she was always measuring 3 weeks behind and I saw a high risk doctor several times cause they thought it might be intra uterin growth restriction but since it was consistent and she wasn't back tracing or stopping they just said shed be small. She was bon at a decent weight considering she was three weeks early and she has been teeny little girl in the 3rd percentile always until she recently shot up at 3.
  • !lilmomma070811 did they say how much she weighed?
  • No he was getting ready to say the usual weight of a 20wk baby at the 50th percentile and then flipped the page over and said oh shes in the 10th percentile so you need to come back in 4weeks.he is always rushing out the door so i couldnt ask him questions i was trying and he was walkingg out and i had to grab my son and my stuff and when i came outa the room he was gone.he hasnt ever liked me bc i carried my 1st baby to term and he wanted me to abort her the whole time bc of a "birth defect" so hes not fond of me as it is..i just figured i can learn more online and from other mothers,rather then chasing him down.i will find outt what i can in four weeks maybe she will just be small..my son was 8.3 and 2wks early! I just didnt know if it could cause problems for her physically or anything.i have been trying to read up on it but almost every website says something different
  • I'll b thinkin and praying for you...your doctor sounds awful I think he cares more about the money then the patient and that's horrible...and ur baby may come out absolutely perfect only god knows! Lol I just hate doctors like that
  • Nothing to be worried about. I was born 3'7 and only reached to be 4'8. So, I'm a shortie.
  • Thanks so much and yes he is the type that does it for the $ :( i think next time he might get an earful from me..
  • I may have intrauterine growth restriction same thing small baby I'm 24, weeks have a growth n dopler tomorrow. If she's still really small I go on bed rest.
  • Your doctor sounds like an ass. :( can you find a new one? My kids were never small in the womb (actually they were huge) but since birth they've become tiny. My 2 year old only weighs 20lbs. It's really scary when your baby is tiny, but it doesn't sound like he's terribly concerned at her size, so that's a good sign.
  • Well hes not the kind of doctor to care anyway like he wont tell me if something is wrong.i cant switch doctors i have tried but im to far along and the doctors at my hospital just switch out so you dont always have the same doctor but i usually end up with the ahole..i know i wont be going to this hospital for any more pregnancies! Its just that they know my history with my 1st daughter and all my newly found issues so i keep going back like a dummy.i couldnt imagine my 2yr old being 20lbs my neighbors 4month old weighs 20lbs!! I really hope this baby starts growing bc i cant be on bedrest with a 2yr old!! :(
  • I had intra uterine growth restriction with my first son. He ended up having to be born early cuz he was dropping off in growth. Hes perfectly healthy now just a lil on the small side for his age. I was never put on bedrest but had to do non stress tests and special US every week until they decided he needed to be out to grow properly. your doc sounds like a real dink...i hate docs with terrible bed side manners..try not to stress until you know for sure if something is wrong. Good luck!