@homebirthadvocate and @bahamamama4828

edited August 2012 in Pregnant
Hey ladies...so I just got back from meeting with a midwife team. They are wonderful, supportive, encouraging, and I was sold in about 5 minutes. But then they told me NH midwife rules won't let them care for me as a VBAC client without 18 months in between births. I'll be 15 months and one week. I'm a little crushed, frustrated, and trying hard not to cry right now. I do NOT want to be under an ob's care! I've had one appointment and they've already run three tests I didn't want, without even telling me. :-(

Comments

• Here in MI there are a few obgyns who do home births. I was shocked to find out that my friend's ob would perform a home birth as early as 35-weeks and they (my friend and her ob) delivered @ 41/5 a 10lb 7oz baby girl two years ago this past July. I'm sure there are set rules with these docs as to prior surgeries and distance from house to hospital...but if it's what you want it's worth looking into... (She was a Medicaid doc too...from what I understand, obgyns...good obgyns...that take Medicaid are hard to find. So by my limited inference, that must mean there are other good docs willing to do home-births).
  • Sorry just realized you were looking for a midwife/midwife team and not necessarily a home-birth...check out birthing centers (usually part of or near hospitals w/ an ob and certified nurse-midwife team that aim to provide a natural-birth...unless medical intervention is necessary).

@homebirthadvocate feel free to put me in check if my understanding of the birthing center is wrong...this is what my ob (whom I trust and adore) explained to me
  • Oh no I'm sorry. :( I am not sure if any other midwives could help you but I do know many do hbacs under the raidar since many states like to control births.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @math_mommy I was actually looking into home birth. I tried with my first and ended up having to go to the hospital. Barring all else, I'd at least like to be under the care of a midwife who would be with me if a home birth failed, but they indicated the rules in my state won't even let them care for me with the time between my births. I'm right on the cusp, and that's what is so frustrating!

@Bahamamama4828 yeah, they mentioned that too. I wouldn't know how to find one, and if I had to transfer, she couldn't go with me to the hospital where I'd need support keeping to my birth plan.
  • edited August 2012
    @bahamamama4828 & @homeborthadvocate just out of curiosity, I know laws vary from state to state, but is it typical that all licenced professionals who deliver babies would have to have the 18months (I know that is considered the optimal baseline time for a woman's body to recover after delivery...be it vaginal or c+section) before legally being allowed to attempt a v-bac?

I thought it was up to the docs discretion (but I don't know much about midwifery or cnmidwifery).
  • @math_mommy no its not always the case for the 18 month window. It really does depend on the state and care provider. Like if a cpm here is licensed-we have that option-she would have to follow the guidelines.
    Yes, hba is right, NDs and chiros can deliver babies.
  • edited August 2012
    When I apprenticed, I attended 2 hbacs and the births were less than a yr apart.
  • So much for living in the "live free or die state" 8-|
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @blessedtxmom my ob group said it was OK too. My problem is that I'm not really happy seeing an ob and taking on their pathological view of pregnancy and birth. I'd rather go the more natural route of a midwife and I'm very disappointed to lose out on that option. :-(
  • :( I hope everything goes your way soon!
  • Starting to feel seriously jinxed @Bahamamama4828 :-(
  • Sorry @blessedtxmom I'm lucky my husband supports any decision I make on this front, just wish I could go back to being a simple uncomplicated pregnancy :-(