Bf question

edited August 2012 in Breastfeeding
I'm tired of pumping while I'm at work and wondering if I could just bf at night and weekends when im home with baby and stop pumping at work? My little guy is almost 5 months

Comments

• That might be something you could do, but it doesn't work for everyone. Look up reverse cycling kellymom. I'm on my phone atm and can't link.
  • I wouldn't recommend it right now as you will likely lose your supply completely. I stopped pumping when my LO was ten months and only fed in the am, after work, at bedtime and sometimes in the middle of the night. I have never had supply issues though and overproduce. My son is now over a year and still BFing at those times :)
  • @captivated what about if I cut down the amount of times I'm pumping? Right now I'm pumping at 9, 12 and 3
  • Pump whenever your son eats throughout the day. If he eats at those times, keep pumping. If not, just pump at the times he does :)
  • I pumped every four hours. I think you would be fine cutting out one pumping session.
  • @Lacy809 ... Our breast produce milk off of memory. Pumping when your LO eats is needed or else your breast will not make milk for those future feedings.

What you can do is when your at home and you BF your LO... Pump right after. Your breast will then begin to make more milk to allow for both the feeding and pumping.. then you can cut out pumping at work.
  • @captivated @ynvtish to be honest my son eats more often then what I pump. He's a piglet he wants to eat like at least every hour and a half to two hours. I'm not sure but I think he's trying to catch up since he was a premie
  • He's probably going through a growth spurt.
  • When I went back to work, I pumped 3 times a day sometimes 4, now that my son is 10 Months I only Pump before work and after work, and breastfeed while Im with him. My supply is still good.... But since I only Leave 5 minutes away from my job, I go home On all my "Pump Breaks" and Lunches and feed him while Im there! :)
  • @mijita he's always been this way
    @deedeetram I wish I lived that close to work
  • I pumped 3x a day at work, I felt it was worth it. She was that age when I did it. Now I just work/am gone for 5-6 hrs and I only feed her before I leave. But she is 1 & feeds a little less.
  • @caroline8_p I agree it is worth it but I'm a hairstylist and I keep running into the problem of clients being late and me having to work through my pump breaks and it stresses me out a bit
  • YOU don't stress! Its their fault they're late (ruuude btw) and you have a legal, life sustaining thing to do. Yeah, there's formula, but you do what you want. They need trouble understand you need that schedule to be the same.
  • @caroline8_p it is very rude lol but apparently we stylist are on their schedule and not ours.. My manager has been really good about my breaks
  • I work 8hrs and pump once..which is half way through my day. I always have since I have gone back to work at 6 weeks pp. I've never had issues. I did overproduce in the beginning, but now I only get 5-6oz on a good day. I am 10 months pp.