Breastfeeding after 1 year?

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
Did any of you mama's continue to bf after your babies turned 1 and for how long? Scarlett just turned one on aug 19th and im conflicted as weather i should continue to breastfeed. My supply is pretty good and its worked for us thus far..sometimes i get a little sick of pumping and the work that goes into it but i know i would miss the closeness that we share while nursing... Im just so conflicted ... Are the benefits of bf worth all the work at this point ?

Comments

• I have until my son was 18 mo. Things happened and he weaned but we would've went longer. My daughter will be 1 in Oct and I plan on letting her self wean. The benefits don't stop at 1. It's great for a baby's developing immune system and still provides all the much needed nutrients as well as proper jaw growth and teeth alignment so a possibility of no braces and dental work. There is work in it but you can do what's comfortable for you :)
  • edited September 2012
    Holy phone freak out batman! Sorry!
  • Nm, my phone showed 3 posts lol guess not.
  • Lol!! ... How do u know when baby is self weaning?? What if she never self weans? Lol this is my first baby and I don't know what to look for?
  • edited September 2012
    She will show no interest, refusing and would rather play. You will know when she starts going longer between nursing, it ends up being hours to days etc...the national average age is 2-5 ish sometimes up to 7. I know most moms aren't comfortable with that so gentle weaning is important
  • And congrats on lasting a year!!!!! That's amazing good job! :X
  • Thank you!!! I think I was so determined to make it to a year that I'm like "hmm what do I do next" lol she has been showing no interest during her waking hours, the only time she will nurse is right when she wakes up and to go to sleep for naps and bedtime, but she's so busy I can't get her to nurse during the day , I guess that means she's starting to self wean .. I wonder if I cut out pumping and just nurse her at those times (bout 4times a day) if I will continue to have enough milk for when she does want to nurse?
  • Lol I totally understand. Yep, you can cut out the pumping. Your supply will regulate as you decrease your pumping sessions and if you're wanting to slowly wean her, distract her during her usual nursing times with foods or something to play with. Keep everything slow so you're not engorged. Did that make sense? Lol its almost 1am here and I'm delirious
  • I stopped pumping around ten months. My LO turned a year in July and is still all about breastfeeding. Lol. I say keep going until baby has no more interest!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @homebirthadvocate do u think goats milj is better for them than cows milk? Ive been swtching between the two for her afternoon bottle (which is the only one she gets, she nurses the rest of the day) i hear differing opinions all the time
  • Goats milk is perfect. It's closest to human milk
  • Congrats on nursing a yr. I plan on doing it for at least 13 months. R u or were any of u ladies on diets or watched what u at @scarlettsmama @bahamamama4828 @homebirthadvocate
  • I cannot diet so im no help because nursing causes me to be underweight :/
  • I did diet around 3 months pp but my supply dipped so much i had to put it on hold for a while :(