stockpiling

edited September 2012 in Breastfeeding
I am getting EXTREEMLY nervous about going back to work in less than 2 weeks and having enough pumped milk for my son at daycare! I breastfeed and then pump and I am lucky to get 4 oz total for the day. HELP! I am feeding at least every 3 hours and my son is 4 weeks old. What can I do so I can get my stockpile built up ASAP? THANKS!!

Comments

• You could take fenugreek pills
  • edited September 2012
    Pump after every feeding, stay hydrated, don't skimp on calories, but make sure you are eating wholesome foods, eat galactagogues foods (oatmeal, raw nuts) and finally you could supplement with blessed thistle and fenugreek. However, I suspect after a few days of pumping consistently you'll see your supply increase. Be consistent.

Good luck!
  • Thanks so much! I am hoping it works. I would rather not supplement with formula. I am also going to increase feedings to every 2 to 2 1/2 hours too.
  • Yepp exactly what mijita said
  • I used to pump before I nursed. Babies are more efficient at removing milk from your breasts than the pump, so baby can still draw milk when a pump would have lost effectiveness. Of course, if baby seems fussy or still hungry using this method, it might be better to try something else. I also pumped and nursed every two hours in the first couple months. Once your supply is established, another trick is to nurse only on one side throughout the night. Both breasts will let down, but the unused breast ends up engorged by morning. I used to pump 8 ounces from one side first thing in the morning, and another 2 from the side I'd nurse him on when he woke up. :-D
  • Thanks everyone for th help! I started taking fenugreek 3 times a day and I pump either before or after each feeding. I am now getting about 7 ounces total each day so I am starting to worry less.
    Does anyone now anything about Reglan (I think that's what it's called)...my ob gave me a prescription for it to help increase too. I haven't taken it because it sounds scary! Lots of nasty side effects and it says it is passed through breastmilk.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I also heard power aid or gatorade can help! I have a crazy stock pile already! Have enough probably til nov or later but at only 2 bottles a day because I work at levi's day care so I'm able to freed him while I'm there. Also when you go back to work pump throughout the day there just as consistently a you are feeding now then everything while at work will be added to that stock pile!
  • when i need to pump for when i go to school, i pump and then feed her right after and i do notice a huge amount of milk. hope that helps