Comments

• edited October 2012
    A few of us have posted articles like this awhile back and its scary!
  • I must have completely missed them!
  • So my son is on similac for spit it and its thickened with rice starch to help with his spitting up.. does this mean I shouldn't be giving him that? I'm a little confused as to what exactly the articles are saying contain the bad rice..
  • edited October 2012
    @lucyloo288; The study is preliminary and has shown that there are notable and worrisome levels of arsenic in rice and rice products. As of now there is no regulation on the levels of arsenic in rice. Below are two quotes from the article that you might find helpful to your question.

”Infant rice cereals and drink products also contained worrisome levels of arsenic. Consumer Reports advises that children under the age of 5 not be given rice drinks as part of their daily diet, similar to advice given in the United Kingdom regarding rice milk.”

”Limit servings to 1/4-cup rice (uncooked) twice a week for adults and one serving a week for kids. Have just 3 one-cup servings of cold rice cereal a week; 1 1/2 for kids. Stop at one serving of rice crackers (16 to 18 crackers) a day; half that for kids. For rice cakes, limit to about two servings per week (1 to 3 cakes each); one for kids. Aim for no more than 1/2 cup of rice drinks a day; rarely for kids under 5. And don't give babies more than 1/4-cup infant rice cereal a day, max.”
  • Okay, I was confused on the definition of rice milk.. I'm going TO start looking for A different kind of formula now.
  • @lucyloo288; given the media uproar on this matter, I'm sure the formula companies are taking precautions. I'm also certain they have regulations on amounts that are allowable in their product. Because your LO takes this for a condition, I'd ask his physician on their take. I'm not sure how knowledgeable they'll be tho. I'd also call the formula company and inquire.