Weird question about vaginal birth?

edited October 2012 in Giving birth
When the baby starts moving down, is it supposed to feel like your vagina is about to explode?

I labored for a long time with my son, but never felt him descend. It felt like his head was pressing against my lower belly instead of my cervix. I had nubain to help with the pain so I could sleep after being awake for 45 hours. When I woke a couple hours later, it had worn off, and I had tremendous pressure that felt like my lady parts were about to explode. It scared me at the time, and it didn't occur to me until later that maybe that's how it's supposed to feel? I ended up having a c-section after not progressing past 5 centimeters.

Comments

• Thats how it felt to me lol. So uncomfy, at times I could hardly walk :) x
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Kinda lol. It's a lot of pressure for sure. When baby crowns it feels like a blow torch on your hoo ha lol I didn't feel it all that much being in a pool though.
  • I had an epi so didn't feel a thing. Felt like i was taking a big poop
  • With my first, yes..even though I had an epi. With my second I didn't feel anything!
  • Yes, it's like a burning, stretching sensation.
  • I did my 2nd two natural and I felt pressure but they came so quickly I didn't feel anything like you're explaining. But with both I got to the hospital and had them within an hour in a half of getting there. My second was arriving at the hospital and within 45 min he was out. Third I got there at 430pm had him by 6pm.
  • @cheryl74 do you mean you had a hard time walking during labor, or during the last stages of pregnancy?

Thanks @Mama_Kat I've been wanting to ask for a while, but couldn't find a better way to explain it so it wouldn't sound so horrible! :-))

@Wilsomom and @Bahamamama4828 Yes! I was prepared for that "ring of fire" (although I never got that far), but when I've heard of pressure, I was not expecting that at all. I've heard more about the rectal pressure like @Jess510 mentions.

Did you have an epi the second time, too, @EricaK22 ? I'm wondering if it was placed better to block more of the sensation...

I'm not surprised to hear it was different for you @sehra4177 I know there's lots of different sensations manifesting in various ways for different women and different births. Congratulations on such quick deliveries! I hope to go much faster this time! [-O< [-O<
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Walking. When it happens I used to jig about a bit to get baby to move xxx
  • I am so glad I had an epi and couldn't feel anything..not even the pressure like I needed to use the bathroom.
  • I had one the second time as well. I was already at a 7, and my water broke before I got to the hospital..so she said she upped the dosage of the epi..but I couldn't feel anything...I couldn't feel or move my legs for 5+hrs after I had her.
  • Lol just can't like I had to go to the bathroom really bad...