More Calcium In 100 Calories Of Broccoli Than 100 Calories Of Milk

edited October 2012 in Health
Mg calcium per 100 calories:

Broccoli 387
Whole milk 190

Did you know that countries with the highest intake of dairy products also have the highest rate of osteoporosis?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Awesome, my son loves broccoli
  • Of course :) American propaganda. Gotta love it!
  • I'd take broccoli over milk any day. I've been saying since a kid how weird it is that we drink cows milk. I don't anymore. I wish I could afford goats milk for my daughter, but its way too pricey here, and she needs all the calories I can get into her...lol sorry for the rant.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Besides that, cow's milk is designed to make a calf gain hundreds of pounds in the shortest amount of time possible. I don't know about you but that is the last thing I want to do! People look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them we don't drink animal milk. I'm actually kind of happy my LO is allergic to dairy because people seem to accept that more even though we wouldn't have given it to her anyway.
  • edited October 2012
    @captivated hit it on the head.

Another interesting fact -- Steak has only 6.4 grams of protein per 100 calories and broccoli has 11.1 grams, almost twice as much!

Other nutrients per 100 calorie portions:

Iron Brocolli 2.2 mg Steak .8 mg
    Magnesium Brocolli 46 mg Steak 6 mg
    Potassium Brocolli 507 mg Steak 74 mg
    Fiber Brocolli 11 g Steak 0
    Phytonutrients Brocolli high Steak 0
    Antioxidents Brocolli high Steak 0
    Folate Brocolli 200 mcg Steak 0
    Cholesterol Brocolli 0 Steak 22 mg
    Saturated Fat Brocolli 0 Steak 3.1 g

• Mmm ya I'd take steak over broccoli. But I come from the land of the steak haha
  • @mijita - thought you might like this! ;)
  • I love this! We don't drink cows milk here either and my kids love broccoli plus the calcium is better absorbed with it than milk.