Problem with my son's circumcision.

edited November 2012 in Babies Health
My son is 13 months old now. When he was around 4 months or so, I noticed his circumcision wasn't done right and it's like they didn't take enough skin off. I asked the Dr. about it and he said it just looked like that because he was fat. Well, I asked another Dr. at his 6 month check up and she agreed with me that it was done wrong, but he may "grow into it" (Lol) Well, he hasn't grown into it....I don't know what to do. At this point it would be major surgery to fix it, but if I don't fix it he'll probably feel weird about it at some point in his life. What would you do, or has anyone had this surgery done at this age or later?

Comments

• Oh boy, what a tough situation. Wish I had a suggestion, as I don't. Hope you find some help with someone experienced.
  • If it were me I'd leave it.. My ob told me to make sure when I had my sons done that they left some skin.. He said when my son got older it would feel better, that skin has more feeling in it.. Idk if I'm making any sence.. anyways when I had my son I forgot, so now I always wonder if they cut to much off, because he crys when it gets hard and it doesnt like his diaper to be.. He trys to grab it and erything. Anyways so I asked another doctor if they could cut too much, he told me that it could happen but most likly my son is hurting somewhere else, but if he keeps crying when it hard to bring him in.. I'm so confused.. I would make sure you get a lot of options before having him go back under.. Just me though..
  • When my son was 1 our family doctor said his essential done enough and I should fix it while he was little! And I didn't and it is a pain to try to get an almost 7 yr old to clean his area properly!! If I could go back I would have re done it.
  • I think I'm having the same issue. His doc said it looks fine but part of the foreskin is still attached to the head. I'm not baby penis expert so Idk if its done right, but I feel like it's not
  • My sons is the same way but I'm happy about it! I discussed this with the dr before hand bc I didn't want them taking too much. They call it a loose circumcision. I read that when they take too much skin it can cause the penis to pull to the side. I don't think he will feel weird or anything about it as long as u don't make a big deal. Also, when my son does become a lil hard you can't even tell there's extra skin ( lol this is weird talking about hahaha).
  • ^^^^ is right. They used to do too much but it was causing tightening and other issues so most docs do loose ones.
  • Is taking too much maybe the reason my exes penis kinda curved to one side? He didn't know why it was that way just that it always had been.
  • Yes I think that could be the reason! It was one of my main reasons for making sure my son had a loose circumcision done! :)
  • edited November 2012
    Yep; I asked for plastibel instead of mogen clamp to achieve looser circ in case he was ever unhappy with our decision and wanted to pursue foreskin restoration. Really wish circumcision just wasn't an option forcing us to choose or not... 8->
  • Did anyone.e have to pay for.it if so about how much? We were told it was around 300 for Washington. But unsure and its alot of money for us to have pay at once
  • @lilloulou it varies where my son had it done cash paying patients got a big discount we paid $150. Some insurances will pay part of it as well. Try calling around. Also ask if you can set up a payment plan.
  • Oh and I'm from Washington btw. If you're near the Bonney lake area that's where my son got.his done at.
  • Thanks @brodysmamma I'm in Yakima and sil said she wasn't doing her son cause they wanted so much money and now he is 18 months but me and hubby want it for r son I'm definitely gonna have to call around but who the hospital or a clinic or just the Dr for my kids
  • Pediatricians did it at my hospital, @lilloulou same ones that work out of the pediatric office. :-)
  • I'm glad to hear about the loose circumcision, I never heard of that before. I think I'll just leave it alone then, thanks! @crystaldawn0830
  • @lilloulou my gyno did it at the hospital
  • Its rare for them to do it at the hospital in Washington the pediatric dr that saw my son when he was born did it in her office. My sons dr wanted $350 and since we did cash she did it for $150 and her normal price is $300. Call your insurance too they might cover or cover part of it