Mom's with small 1 year olds

edited November 2012 in Babies
Has your baby's pediatrician ever said anything or been concerned about a lower then average weight? Ellie Mae has always been pettite and at her 1 year check she was 18.5 lbs (she's really short too, lol). She's obviously healthy but pediatrician wants us to start adding butter to each of her meals and we have to go back in 6 weeks for a weight check. Really? Just curious what everyone elses's doctor is saying.

Comments

• I've never heard of adding butter? That doesn't seem healthy at all, hopefully someone can help
  • That doesn't seem low weight to me my baby was 21lbs 1oz at her 1 year an she was over average 75 percentile I def wouldn't worry to much about it. an yea I've never heard of using butter either I've only heard pedis recommending pediasure
  • My 1 year old only weighs 17lbs. She's almost 30 inches tall too. Her ped isn't worried about her at all. He said as long as she keeps gaining some weight its ok. He said we could try and give her pediasure to try and help her gain some weight too but she won't drink it.
  • McKinley was about 19 lbs at her one year. They were concerned about her weight until her one year, then my Dr finally agreed with what my family has been saying all along, she's just petite. I think adding butter sounds weird lol.
  • BUTTER, really?!?! Her pediatrician wants you to feed your child saturated fat in an attempt to fatten up your child? Holy BLEEP! I can't begin to tell you how ignorant that suggestion is. It's no wonder our society is facing an obesity epidemic.

My LO, was 18.15 at a year and 27.5 inches and her physician wasn't in the least bit worried.

If you want to try and put weight on your child, then by all means incorporate healthy fats and foods that are calorie dense. Whole milk is usually sufficient enough, along with her normal diet. If you want to try and have her gain a little aim for cheese, avocado, greek yogurt, peanut butter, eggs and meats.

I can't stop shaking my head and want to tell you to seek a new doctor for your LO, but I don't know your LO's health history and there may be a reason behind this madness.
  • Mine did a weight check history (All his appts) and checked our family history... (Daughter and I short and smaller while hubby is tall) and said he was good.. just keep an eye on losing weight... (He was 17lb 10oz at 11m .. 1 (well 13m) year appt is wednesday..
  • Aubree is really small too. At her 1 yr she weighed 17lbs. But she is still on her curve. She weighed 4.11 at birth. She is really skinny too. Her doc doesn't seem to worried. I thought about giving her pediasure too. She has always been petite. But very healthy and hitting all milestones.
  • Makenzie is 25lbs and will be 1 at the end of the month Her doc says she is a little on the heavy side lol. I wouldn't add butter that is so unhealthy! maybe those pediasure drinks or something like that she doesn't sound "unhealthy small" to me sounds just right!
  • My sister had this with her 2 yr old she was in the 13% & she was eating like normal the dr. told her to add HEALTHY FATS lol not butter! I would do avocado peanut butter cottage cheese ect. Good luck :)
  • My niece is small too, I swear they need to find a different doctor because the doc wants her eating sour cream, butter, a lot of unhealthy fats but she was 4 lbs at birth!! The doc wants her drinking 3-4 pediasures a day too! She's 2 and 25ish pounds.
  • edited November 2012
    Butter?! My son is small (10th percentile)and his doctor recommended pediasure. Id find a new doctor. You want her to gain weight not clog her arteries Lol.
  • Beatrix is probly only about 20lbs, her check up is tues, but her doc hadn't mentioned anything about her being small. Butter seems like a horrible way to get her to gain weight.
  • My daughter is petite too. She's 19lbs and 13months. My doctor wasn't worried but she suggested to put her on a multivitamin.
  • My daughter has always been small. She is just petite her dr has not been concerned about it. He says with my husband not being big and me not being big he wouldn't expect her to be either. Butter sounds strange to me.
  • My 13m old is 17lbs! and 29 inches. I see 2 diff doctors (they rotate shifts) and both kept saying my daughter is too small so after months of them saying it they finally referred me to a pediatrician. he checked her over, weighed her and said no she is fine! her dad is tall and thin she just takes after him :)
  • And butter is ridiculous!! I agree with @graysonsmommy healthy fats are the way to go
  • She sounds petite just like Scarlett she just now hit 18 pounds and will be 1 on the 12th she's always been on the small side with height and weight I think as long as they are not losing it's ok :)
  • That's crazy. My baby weighed 19 lbs at her 1 year checkup & she is very tall! The pediatrician has never been worried about her weight. You must be able to tell as her mother weather she looks healthy to you.
  • My son is 18 lbs and 29 inches long. She told me to go with the whole milk, Greek yogurt which he LOVES, cheese and avacados. We go back on the 20th of this month to check his weight again. The dairy does constipate him a bit so we give him some healthy fiber cereal as a snack to kind of balance it out and keep him regular.
  • My lo was 19 lbs at 1 year and was 30 in and now at 17 m is 26.4 lbs and 34 in her doc just said whatever we feed her to keep feeding her bug she eats everything and in my opinion slender but tall for.only being that size and it all depends on how active they r if u have a very active child it will be harder to gain weight even if they have strong eating habits with snacks and all that my.daughter started walking at 8 months and all.her fat rolls disappeared :-( but she evened out with her. Height :) I.wish she was little bit. Chunky though
  • I just took my daughter to the dr for her 15 month check up and she is only 20lbs 13oz and 30 1/4 inches tall. Our dr isn't concerned. He said she's just petite
  • My daughter just had her 18 months appointment and is only 23lbs and 31inches. They said she is little, she eats anything and everything she can get her hands on.
  • Lets see... He was 17lb 14oz at 13m. She wants him to have pediasure and eat more than 6x a day (Which he already does). Now what she told me is to not cut out fattening foods like butter (like butter on rolls or toast) because some parents will completely cut out things like that and its not nessessary. Make sure he is eating the 'food groups' (Fruits, Veggies, Dairy, Carbs, Fats...) in thier ratios and not to limit a meal to 'baby size'. (I.E. deny extra food b/c he has ate what a 'normal' baby would eat)
  • My daughter has always been small. At her one year check up she was 18# 6oz. Her pediatrician has never been worried about her weight...he said he watches the cheeks and thighs as long as they have some fat then she's good. And as long as she's growing on the curve its fine...she's just petite. It helps that he also sees my son who is also petite so he knows its just their genes.
  • Laila is 15lbs at 1yrs old. Her nutritionist told me to do the same thing with feeding her butter. Her pedi just put her on 1-2cans of pediasure.
  • Thanks everyone for the input, I appreciate hearing your personal stories! @lilbit01_209 thanks for commenting, that is helpful. I actually never used to butter any of Ellie's food because I didn't think it was good for her! @LolasBabyNum1 &Lilbit01_209 do your lo's like the pediasure? Maybe I could try some of that just for some extra calories. I'm really not worried about her, I know she's fine, but it wouldn't hurt.
  • Yes Laila loves it. I transitioned her from formula to pediasure quick. Theres different flavors
  • @LolasBabyNum1 Ok thanks. So she just gets pediasure then, no milk? I'm going to try some :)
  • He loves it... My hubby bought him the fiber one in strawberry and vanilla. I will 1/2 it with milk. His doc said that sometimes it can give little ones the runs if you give them the whole thing at once but Anthony has done fine both way .. My children eat everything. Both my children have had candy, sugars in general, fats and have even tried alcohol. We dont keep stuff from them and allow things in moderation. (Well not the alcohol, thats usually just a sip or two and we have only allowed little man a sip of beer. Which he loves lol... he chases my hubby around the house when he is carrying a beer bottle!!)
  • Lmao @lilbit01_209 sounds like my brothers when they were that age!! They would chase my dad until he gave a sip up